_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sherman Tank Book References
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC
Most everyone knows that the R.P. Hunnicutt armor book series are the top of the line references and this holds true for the Sherman kit, but with a price tag of $60-100, a library full of these books is cost prohibitive. Plus the book has been OOP and is getting difficult to find.

The best Sherman model reference, that is a book dedicated to the available Sherman tank models, is the "Modeler's Guide to the Sherman" put out by Military Miniatures in Review. This book is done by Pete Harlem and is published by Ampersand Publishing, 1999. I believe I got it through Squadron Mail Order. It lists all 1/35 scale kits, accessories and Sherman publications. Highly recommended, cover has a figure of Lafayette Poole and his tank "In The Mood".

The next best Sherman model reference is Osprey Modelling Manuals 14, M4 Sherman. It's good and more recent (2001), but even lists the above book as a reference. The model list contains scales other than 1/35 (1/76, 1/72, 1/16) and the desert pink British M4A1is a sight to behold.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thx Rob for all these sharp information!
Cheers!
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:44 PM UTC
I totally agree Rob that MMIR book is one of the best Also I like Squadron Signals book Sherman in action Concord's Sherman at war #1(sadly oop) and Sherman at war #2 I believe #2 is still out Here's a link for a sherman site
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104 It's more for the real sherman,not the model,but still a lot of good info If this is your 1st time to a yahoo site when you go to join ,yahoo makes you jump through a bunch of hoops before joining
Chad
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 10:46 PM UTC
Ditto - I have all the references mentioned above and agree 100%.

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I totally agree Rob that MMIR book is one of the best Also I like Squadron Signals book Sherman in action Concord's Sherman at war #1(sadly oop) and Sherman at war #2 I believe #2 is still out

Concord #2 is still out, just picked one up for $16. I mentioned the two modeling books to let folks know that there are guys out there who have already done the extensive work cataloging the various Sherman kits.
 _GOTOTOP