_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Nashorn released in Hong Kong
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:38 PM UTC
The long waited DML New Nashorn finally released in Hong Kong. IN DML's flag shop they have about 10 of them, unfortunately they limited one per person, so my plan of scoop them all was rudely sabotaged by the shop girl....

Anyway, the kit looked amazing, it comes with a standard box similar to the size as of the new DML Panther A, with color instruction, and a number of trees, Besides the normal one that constuct the AFV, you also got a small feret that carries some infantry weapon for attach to the inside of the Nashorn, and 2 brass projectiles. The brass projectiles looked detailed, I haven't got a chance to measure it against the Tamiya 88 shells, and my reference book, so cannot comment on its accuracy.

In a nutshell, nothing is being overlooked in this kit, the floor has the proper arrangement of floor plates, fuel caps are there, the gun itself can be a little kit. And with some left over PE, and a metal tube, this can be made into a great looking model.

Another good thing is that in the box, it enclose a little note thing says that for the DML 10 years celebration, they will issue 12 new items this year, one per each month, and it seems that all of them will be German!!! YEAH!

It seems that my investment in DML finally paid off.... #:-)
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:18 PM UTC
WOOHOO!!!!!! Can't wait to get it back here in the states. I have been waiting for this one for ten years since I built the last Nashorn. Is it a reissue of the old one or completely new?

Rob
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:54 PM UTC
Its a completely new tooling.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:31 PM UTC
Completely new and very very sweet!

Now my question to all the German Guru is can I use the chasis to build a Hummel by just replacing the gun?
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:53 AM UTC
Yeah, you can Dav, but it is a different mount and different shells, so you have to redo the storage for the shells as well. There are other cosmetic differences.

Rob
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
Just look through the box again, good news is that for some trees it marked Nashorn/Hornisse/Hummel, so we can very well expecting a new Hummel as well.... Lord loves the German Builder! #:-)
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC
I too am extremely excited about this release.I gave up German WWII modelling but,this has changed everything a whole lot.I am going to have to say this though,why all german subjects?I know "It sells" but so does other subjects.I can only hope that DML makes a Opel or Mercedez truck one of the 12 releases.Sieg Heil!
(:-) (:-)
DonS
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:20 AM UTC
Cookie Sewell has done an in box review heres the url:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/nashornreviewcs_1.htm

It sounds like a good kit, but I hope that the ten year anniversary kits aren't all German. It would be nice to have at least one allied kit. Some of Dragons best kits are Allied, like the T-34/85.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:52 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorma DonS!

Found this page on Dragon's site. It basically says that DML will be upgrading and releasing 12 of its most popular '39-'45 Series kits. The Firefly Vc is one of a few Allied kits on this German-dominated list so I think the chances of an Allied rerelease are slim

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:15 PM UTC
This is the exact list I got in my Nashorn....Well as I said, God loves the German builder.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 11:50 PM UTC
This 10th anniversary series looks to be good news. Here's hoping some of the WW2 US tanks get reissued. Most of the M4A1 earlies are going for way too much money.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:52 AM UTC
Four of those men are standing on the back of a King Tiger, and the other four are walking in front of a hetzer, Does this mean those will be some of the kits?

Rob
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
I will probably say not likely to the King Tiger, because Tamiya already got a good one, it's not business sound to colliade head on with tamiya. Hetzer, I don't know....
 _GOTOTOP