_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HMMWV Questions...
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:56 PM UTC
All;

Well, I decided to get back into the hobby again after too many years away from it (10+). I still have my "warehouse" downstairs of unbuilt kits, lots of Desert Strom era kits.

I was planning on easing back into it and do a semi "out of the box" kit to begin with...Well "easing back in" didn't last long! My first attempt was going to be a TOW HUMMWV, I already had the Italeiri (sorry for spelling on that one) kit and thought- No Problem! HAHAHAHA.

I am now doing research, so I can get it RIGHT. And of course it needs detailed, and while I'm at it I don't really want to build the TOW armed version, rather an M-60 or M2 armed version.

Well, to save you all from the winding path I've gotten myself onto- It seems that the Ital TOW Hummer has a incorrect Turret Ring- a mirror image, anyhow I think I need to replace the entire Turret Ring since the versions with M-60s or M2s have a 32" Turret Ring. Is the actual TURRET RING smaller on the M60/M2 versions, or is it just the opening into the interior?? Also is there an "update/detail" kit on the market to replace the TOW Turret Ring with the other style??

Perhaps I should just search out one of the Academy kits instead??

Sheesh , and I was gonna "ease back into this".

All help will be appreciated. This seems like a VERY knowledgeable, helpful group!

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:08 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Jaster!

Rob (Sabot) posted a very nice article about the Italeri Humvees here. You might want to check it out
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:19 PM UTC
Jeepney;

Thanks for the link. The deeper I look the cloudier the picture becomes.

Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:25 PM UTC
There's a lively discussion about the Italeri Humvee group build here.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
The 45th eSIB uses TOW Hummers with an adapter plate on the TOW mount. This allows them to mount a 50s or 60s which are much more usefully against infantry.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Jaster,
If you can find it, Verlinden had a set out for the M1025 wich had a new turret ring and all the goodies that go inside. If not, try to find an Academy M1025.
The verlinden set also contained a .50 Cal and MK19 40mm Grenade launcher, turret ring, rear hatch, and all the ammo can mounts that go inside.
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC
Odd reference source I know, but if you need some interior images of the Humvee and you are stuck for reference material, watch 'Broken Arrow' the movie with John Travolta and Christian Slater. It might be far-fetched nonsense but there are lots of scenes with the interior of Humvees in them.
Just a thought....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 04:27 PM UTC
There are several shots of the M966 turret ring and hatch on pages 2 and 3 of my motor pool in the HMMWV folder here: MAJ Rob's Motor Pool. If you don't see the shot you really need, let me know and if I have time I'll try to get out there sometime this week to take a better shot. Weather dependent.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thanks to all for the input...

sloooooowly the pieces are coming together!

Jim
 _GOTOTOP