_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tow cables End
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC
is there a source to buy resine or metal tow cable ends for modern AVF?
i allready manged to brake couple of plastic one from kits while trying to handle them
thanks
Eran
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
Just a quick suggestion, if you are really stuck, guitar strings will pass for tow cables at smaller scales. You can get busted ones off a musician for free!
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
KitMaker: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks
I'm using picture hanging wire for the cables, what i'm looking for are the cable ends
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
Let me put in my two cents

Again the hospital was a great source for these kinda things.
because my father works there I asked him if he could look for something that looks kinda similar to tow cables. He came home with something that looked very very good. had the right thickness was well twisted looked like a towcable to me.
I asked what it was and he answered simply: A cable where they lower camera`s and other devices into ill peoples bodies (called endoscopy I believe) I dropped it immediately but as my father asured me that it was never used, I picked it up again and since then this is my supply for tow cables

hope it was of any help

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what i'm looking for are the cable ends

I know Accurate Armour makes tow cables.. you get two cable ends and a "guitar string"..

Try here: AA products and click accessories.. it looks something like this..

Mario M.
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
Try Karaya from Poland.
They make excelent towcables with resin ends.
http://www.karaya.ceti.pl/

The Swede
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:25 PM UTC
Just my $.02...
I usually altogether get rid of the plastic between the two ends and subsistute stripped speaker or other small gauge wire: Twist 2 strands of the copper wire together, trim off the ends of the cable end loops and use a pin vise to drill out the center, and cement the wire section in place...
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 06:23 PM UTC
if i want to cheat i go to accurate armour for their tow cables, if i want the special i made that feeling i use small guage wire available at any hardware store twist it so its nice and pretty fold over the ends, soft maliable wire will stay while you glue it together, and wrap a peice of lead foil around for the band to keep it together, if you're making one with the metal inner liner just put a peice o lead foil inside the bend before you fold it over. happy modeling stug
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
For modern forged cable eyes, use a piece of plastic rod/tube of the right diameter with the eye made from soft wire. Taper the end of the rod/tube into the cable. Glue the eye to the other end of the rod/tube, use super glue or putty to contour the eye into the round piece. In some sizes, there will already be a hole in the tube, so enlarge this to match your cable or drill the right size hole in the tapered end. Glue the cable in, paint, and there you have it. Works for me.
 _GOTOTOP