_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
What makes you 'look around' this site?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:30 PM UTC
Question Setup---
I know the forums are fantastically popular and they have a great deal of 'traffic'.
I'm curious about what makes you go look at reviews or features or community.
Is it the home page and the 'groupings' that appear there? Is it the 'what's new' threads? Is it something else....

Personally, I look around the site because I 'remember I saw it somewhere' and typcially will "search" for whatever I'm looking for or I'll just skim through the faetures. Many times I'll start a project or kit with a global search of the subject to see what's been discussed.

Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
when i encounter a problem during a build i will search the site for the solution,can be in the features or just a reply from a member.or use the search tool in general.or i will hassle a moderator like Vinnie to find it for me :-) :-) :-) [just happened once]
greetings jeroen,.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
I like trolling it at work. Ussually when I hit a wall, I will search for solutions. Its a great way to build up knowledge and pass the day at work

airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
I usually check out new features and "remember" them for further use. If I ever run into a problem, want to try something new, or want to see some reference or inspiration I'll go search through the features for information. I also love the way the review section is set up, and there are plenty of reviews to determine the quality of a kit.
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:23 PM UTC
I search the Big A mostly to learn how to solve my
problem areas in modeling and to improve my
techniques. . . and for a source of inspiration!

Also, I like to read the threads of beginning modelers
and send them a note of encouragement stating
my opinion that "things of value do not come
easy". Therefore, it takes a lot of time
and experience to improve in modeling or
any other enterprise.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC
Searching sure sounds like it's the way to go.

Nice touch on the PM Rick
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
A lot of the time something on the homepage will catch my eye and I'll check it out. Other times it's the Feature threads in the forums. Mostly though its because I'm looking for specific information about a build or a technique.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
I use a combination of ways to look around. First thing I do is go to "latests posts" to see what has been written lately. If it's been a while since I've been on, a day or so, I'll go to the forums I'm most inetersted in, Warships, Armor, History, Movies, and look for new posts that way. Sometimes the list of latests posts can be so long that I'll miss a post if I don't also go to the forum list.

I aways look for news items in those various forums first, because those are items I have found to be the most interesting.

Before buying any kit I always check out the reviews here, as well as elsewhere, to see how others have liked the kit.

Finally whenever I want to get information on a specific process, something new to try, or to see if others have a suggestion on how to do something, I'll use the search box. I use that quite a bit.

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hi

I approach it just like Rodger does.

Works best for me.

Regards

Sean
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
I mainly use it to keep up on whats new, then what people are doing and how they're achieving it. Past that it's a great form of entertainment... especially when a lot of energy is spent on meaningless posts. A good example of that is the current post about how it is in bad taste to post one word posts possibly to achieve rank (as if that really meant anything).
Don't get me wrong about that last statement - Overall this is the best modelling site on the web in my opinion. But sometimes a bit much on useless BS.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
Mainly here for 2 main reasons really. One is to get inspiration from the kits that others built and also to participate with the site in some way hence coming up with the Modern Armor Campaign.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 06:58 AM UTC
i simply never know enought

Frank
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 05:22 AM UTC
First thing I check for info, inspiration and crack... But then, I'm a sad git... :-)

Or am I?
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 05:41 AM UTC
I tend to pop into the homepage.. check out the features, reviews and news item's I might be interested in.. then pop over to the forums to see whats going on in the group.......

and sometimes the Forums put me back into news, reviews and features I didnt' look at the first time..

:-)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:02 AM UTC
I always start with the latest posts. After I get caught up there, I rely heavily on reviews and the gallery to look for ideas on my next project.

I also have learned alot about some obscure site features by way of Vinnie's Osprey Challenges and the questions he poses.

Patrick
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 04:32 PM UTC
Hi...
basically whatever catches my eye, be it news, features, forums....anything.
But I do go back and forth and take a look at things that may have not shouted at me initially. Quite often I find things of great interest that I may have otherwise missed.

Its well worth having a wander around the halls of Armorama....in any direction....but I'm adicted anyway.

But it is nice to rest tired cyber feet from all that wandering in the Cyber bar over a nice tall cool one.
Being a cyber bar it always amazes me that they stock almost every beer in the world...

Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP