_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Greatest Ever Tanks Campaign?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I've been scratching my head to try to come up with a campaign for the second half of the year as there definitely is a lack of modern type armor campaign then. I dont want to overlap the current Modern Armor Subjects Campaign but stick to a similar theme of modern era tanks.

So this is what ive come up with.....which by the way is still work in progress so pass your suggestions as i may incorporate that in.

1) Greatest Ever Tanks. Inspired by the TV program, the campaign will be more focused on tanks that have had the greatest impact on modern warfare. To name a few:
- Leopard
- Abrams
- Challenger
- Merkava

2) Desert Tanks. Even more focused on tanks used in the desert.
To name a few:
- Merkava
- Challenger
- Abrams

3) Camo Tanks. As the name implies, reserved for tanks that are seen with the camo pattern on. Similar range of kits as the 2 above as desert tanks are often also seen with Camo on.

4) Purple Heart Campaign. Kits that have to have some form of battle damage as its final look. It could be a bent fender or damage tracks or hull damage. I foresee low participation for this one as not many of us enjoy damaging our beautiful expensive kits.

Im able to create the awards for any of these but would love to see which ones most people would be keen on.

Last but not least however, are you still accepting new campaign submissions for the second half of this year GunTruck?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
Absolutely! I'm always looking for great modeling ideas! :-)

I like the idea of a Greatest Tanks in History Campaign a lot - though I'd like to hear from the membership how they'd think this would be put together and how large a participation it might attract.

The Purple Heart Campaign also sounds interesting too - as it encourages modelers who like to employ "damage" into their modeling. This could be a big one as well.

Gunnie
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
Jazza -

Sounds like a great plan in the making. I like both the
"Greatest" and "Purple Heart" ideas. You could count me in on either. I need a "modern" break. Thanks for going after this,

Blade48mrd
Blade26
Visit this Community
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
Although i'm not a Armor builder (only 1 made so far)
i like to see "The Greatest Tanks Ever" and "The Purple Heart" campaigns!!
In one of them i'll join!

P.S:I had in mind to make a modern tank(like leopard or Abraams) so it suits for me!!
Cheers!
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:14 AM UTC
Why dont make a "Greatest hits" campaign for knocked out tanks? :-)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why dont make a "Greatest hits" campaign for knocked out tanks? :-)

Cause that would make a tray of ashes eligible for the campaign.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
Jeremy, nice idea about the Greatest Ever Tanks.....my vote for that one!

cheers
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC
What do you guys reckon if i open up the Greatest Ever Tanks to include the likes of the Sherman and Tiger tanks. Would this be a little too broad in scope?

The purple heart campaign would probably have to include WWII tanks to beef up the participation im guessing.

What do you guys think?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you guys reckon if i open up the Greatest Ever Tanks to include the likes of the Sherman and Tiger tanks. Would this be a little too broad in scope?

Because then you'll have more Shermans and Tigers than modern tanks. Why not just make it post-1945 (if you want to promote modern tanks)? Or everything except 39-45? That way you can include WWI and pre-39...

Also, your entries should perhaps be accompanied by a statement justifying why the particular tank was or is the greatest thing since sliced bread... else it'll just be a free for all...

My 0.02ZAR

Rudi
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Because then you'll have more Shermans and Tigers than modern tanks. Why not just make it post-1945 (if you want to promote modern tanks)?

You raise a good point there Rudi. Will probably stick to modern tanks then.

Quoted Text

Also, your entries should perhaps be accompanied by a statement justifying why the particular tank was or is the greatest thing since sliced bread... else it'll just be a free for all...

Ok will definitely be incorporating this into the campaign policy if it ever materialises.

Also i was thinking of using the CMOH as the medal for the Greatest Ever campaign. Reckon thats too cheesy? No points for guessing which one i would use for the purple heart.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 06:10 AM UTC
hmm not a whole lot of response for these ones so far. Reckon i should just shelf this idea Jim?
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi there,

I loved this idea and am gamed for it. Thought what Rudi suggested "except 39-45" would generate more WW1 entries, making more variety for this campaign.

Cheers!

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there,

I loved this idea and am gamed for it. Thought what Rudi suggested "except 39-45" would generate more WW1 entries, making more variety for this campaign.

Cheers!

I might just submit the proposal and see if it gets off the ground and yes i will be leaving out the shermans and anything related to WWII and before.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hmm not a whole lot of response for these ones so far. Reckon i should just shelf this idea Jim?

No no. Go for it! Must have missed this post before.

"Greatest tank ever"? Sheesh! that's a hard one.

I'll give it a bash!

Definitely exclude WWII otherwise it will get very boring, very quickly, i.e. "Oh goodie, yet another Tiger / Sherman... (Yawn).

Oh man, SWMBO will be SO happy to hear this!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
Yup no worries...will go ahead with this and see if we get more than 10 participants and get it off the ground.

Guntruck will be getting a long winded submission from me shortly.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 05:29 AM UTC
Never forget that it can be done as a Group Build too...

Gunnie
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 06:15 AM UTC
Count me in I like the sound of this one. Could always use another excuse for a good chally II. Already got which one in mind.

Herky
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:49 AM UTC
Sweet will get the Greatest Ever Tank campaign up and running.....as for the purple heart campaign....im still wondering if im able to produce something off my own as it hurts me to damage my kits. :-) Will submit it nonetheless so others can enjoy it.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:09 PM UTC
Good ideas here Jazza
Maybe the "purple heart" idea could be used for WWII era, as I have a belter of an idea (and a also dillusions of grandeur...) This would definitely involve Shermans, even though Murdo would grumble, but hey, heaps out there would still love it as "any excuse to build another"... :-)
Cheers
Brad
P.S> Best of luck with your modern campaign
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S> Best of luck with your modern campaign

Thanks Bradley. Have gotten quite a good level of participation so far so heres hoping to see alot of kits as the campaign ends.

Ok ive submitted the campaign proposals (Greatest Ever and Purple Heart) for the second half of the year so its up to what Gunny thinks now. Will upload the awards that ive created if they pass the first stage of review by Jim.

p/s: Jim im hoping Greatest Ever would be in the Armor category while the Purple Heart is to be under the General Modelling category. Will leave it to your better judgement if you dont think this is appropriate for their respective categories.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
I’ll go for the ‘Greatest tank ever’ campaign too.

Quoted Text

Definitely exclude WWII otherwise it will get very boring, very quickly, i.e. "Oh goodie, yet another Tiger / Sherman... (Yawn).

Murdo, just to make your day. IIRC Shermans served with the IDF up to the 1970s, as well as with Chile, Argentina up to the 1980s and an M-36 served in Kosovo in the 1990s.
Also IIRC a few Panthers served in the French army post WWII.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Murdo, just to make your day. IIRC Shermans served with the IDF up to the 1970s, as well as with Chile, Argentina up to the 1980s and an M-36 served in Kosovo in the 1990s.

I've actually created a criteria in the campaign to accomodate situations like these where WWII hardware is still in active duty after the 1970s.

Basically if you can build the "improved" version of it followed by a brief history behind it, it will be eligible for the campaign. So highlight the enhancements etc as we do want to try to stick to the Modern theme as close as we can.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:38 AM UTC
Any of the mods/admins know what the status is of the Greatest Ever Tank Campaign that i submitted about a week ago?

Im just wondering if i should start drafting up the award for it.
 _GOTOTOP