_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Weld seams
Porsche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
I've seen some people create weld seams with extra sprue. How do you do this? I.E. Make it thin, cement it to the tank, etc.

Thanks!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 05:01 AM UTC
Heat it under a candle, careful not to let it touch the flame, and pull. This is the way we also make antennas and some make aircraft rigging. With practice, you can get them hair thin. Take a length of stretched sprue and place it where you want the seam. Touch a drop of liquid cement to the sprue and the capillary action will draw the cement along the sprue. Once the cement has a chance to soften the stretched sprue, use the tip of a hobby knife to add texture to the sprue. Literally "chop" the sprue along its length and the sprue becomes a weld seam.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 05:23 AM UTC
Rob--this a hell of a lot simpler than my futile attempt of some months ago. Pursuing a weld seam, I placed a heated blade line down the site of the seam. Once the cut was in the plastic I filled it with a piece of scrap plastic. Okay, but not great. I will try your method tonight.
thanks
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
Ouch DJ, sounds like a lot of work!

Oh yes, I forgot to add that you can also scribe a light line where you want the seam. This will give you a reference point to insure your weld seam is where you want it.

And additionally, practice on an old kit or the inside of the hull out-of-sight until you have the technique down.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:35 PM UTC
Rob--to cries of "what are you doing down there?" I scribed then glued the stretched spruce on the sides of M-8 last night. Damn, sometimes I amaze myself!!!! Thanks
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:41 PM UTC
I take it then my advice was sound and all turned out well? Good to see someone listens to me
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 09:07 PM UTC
Before someone suggests creating weld seems with a thin line of putty, by scribling with a glowing needle or other tool - or any other procedure for that matter - try Bob's suggestion with a piece of stretched sprue (or a very thin piece of plasticard rod or stripe if you want to spend extra money) FIRST.
All other methods may result in acceptable results if executed by a seasoned welder, but are not necessarily better than plan A.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 09:38 PM UTC
Jan;
I do not agree with you in this post
I´ve made weld seams on my T34 (see Photo Gallery) this way:
1)Insert a needle into a piece of wood (or just wrap it with something that avoid you to be heated )
2)Heat it in a candle flame
3)Movie to the kit and just scribe the weld seams along where you want. Try not to put too much pression on it, movie slow and carefull, always heat the needle as necessary.
4)After completed, just brush some liquid glue on it to settle down. Wait it dry completely after handling it.
But every method has pros and cons, you just have to try and chose what is better to you or the model you´re building.
HTH
Cheers!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
Paulo-- I appreciate your method. I tried it. It does work. However, I used Rob's methodology got great results in a remarkably short period of time.
DJ
Porsche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP