_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Vines
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:36 PM UTC
Is there a good way to make vines that are on the side of a buliding, does anybody make them, such as Woodland Scenics, or is there an easy way to make them myself?
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:18 PM UTC
Just a suggestion, how about the stalks left over from a buch of grapes maybe? Or perhaps some dried up weeds from your back garden. dunno what they'd look like and of course it depends on the scale your doing but winter's a good time to root round your garden for stuff like that.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:19 PM UTC
try streached out steel wool. I saw someone use it before and it looked good.
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hudson & Allen make a vines material that includes a block of material for the vines,leaves and good instructions,I haven't used mine yet but,they look good.Sieg Heil!
(:-)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:31 PM UTC
I have seen them made from milliput rolled into very thin lines, then put into place. I once made very convincing ivy from tea leaves, but that is whole different story.......

Patrick
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thank you everyone for the quick responses, I'll try out all of those. Starting with the cheapest...
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:50 PM UTC
The BEST / CHEAPEST / EASIEST vine you can make:

-Take an old dried out teabag, and cut open the bag.(microwave to get out all the moisture!)
-Run a thin strand of white glue in the desired pattern of the vines
-While the glue is still wet, pour the dried tea grinds over the wall
-The leaves will adhere to the exact pattern of the glue
-Allow this to dry
-Come back and paint the leaves (unless you want a dead vine) as desired

Looks GREAT and super easy. Try practicing on a piece of cardboard a time or two, and you will discover the simplicity!
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 06:58 PM UTC
Dig up an old plant that's died....just don't water them like I do......they die fast.... #:-)....then wash the roots off....and let them dry out for a while.....or you can also wrap them around whatever you're going to put them on and let them dry there.....for leaves....I've used parsley and painted it when dry.....it works quite well.
You don't need to buy buy buy products that are so easily made for free!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:57 AM UTC
I took some copper wire, folded over several time then twisted it like you would for a tow cable, leaving one strand longer at the base. I unraveled the upper portions and bent it randomly. I measured it to where it was gooing to be and this method allowed me to run it over the top of a wall. I then painted the trunk and branches a dark brown and attached it to the base by the extra strand. I then brushed on white glue and sprinkled on some Woodland Scenics dark green leafy/turfy stuff. Good looking vine. This also allows the trunk and branches to this out as a real vine would.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 01:26 AM UTC
In my opinion best vine leaves are those supplied by Mother Nature. Find yourself a birch tree. Look around it and you will find an ample amount of seed pods. Take the pods apart and get your hands on the individual seeds (sounds worse than it is). If you look closely they look exactly like tiny vine/ivy leaves. Apply them in layers to the wall and paint in several shades of green. BTW this is the same stuff Hudson and Allen sell.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:35 AM UTC
Marty,
I vouch for the birch seeds, too. In 1/16 (120 mm series) these are by far the most beautiful leaves you can think of. You do have to spraypaint them for best result, though.
For 1/35 they can look a bit too large, except for tropical trees.
Check the dried herbs in your kitchen cupboard and apply them to a strand of glue, like Keith says. You can glue some dried weed or root to the wall as a basis, but in 1/35 there's not even a need for that.
Jan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hudson & Allen make a vines material that includes a block of material for the vines,leaves and good instructions,I haven't used mine yet but,they look good.Sieg Heil!
(:-)

I've used them before and they are great!

Gunnie
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:49 PM UTC
Thank you everyone for your technical support. I'll play around with all the suggestions and see what happens. Appreciate the help!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 04:23 PM UTC
what i have found good for my nam dio's is a old piece of string, that has become mattered and worn, it gives it the ruff shaggy affect of leaves, then just paint it, hope thats a help to ya mate
 _GOTOTOP