_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WW II Stowage
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:30 PM UTC
I have 2 questions.
1. Were extra track, roadwheels, ect added to a predesignated spot on a tank or would to crew weld attachment pionts where they wanted them?
2. Were tie-downs added in the field or would they be in the same spot on ever vehicle of a given type?
I am (very slowly) working on an M5 recon conversion and it has a pe stowage rack for the back of the vehicle. I'm wondering how much freedom I have in the placement of other stowage.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hi Charles ...I think alot of the stowage was organized bye the crew of each vehicle ..Maybe things like placement of spare wheels and spare track was decided on at the field workshops...in other words have fun I think as long as it makes sense ..It could happen!!..You can always find a picture and do it the same ..

Richard
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:33 AM UTC
There was no set place for road wheels, track, they were put in areas for better protection, as for tools, if the tank was carrying alot of stowage they were moved for better access, I built a few shermans, left the straps and moved the tools and put them in areas around the stowage.(who wants to move a bunch of bags,logs,camo,wire, just to get to a sledge), also I look at it this way, if I was in combat and in it (tank, truck, so on) were would I put it to serve me and my crew better.
Have fun doing it, can not wait to see how it turns out.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the replys. I will post some pics if I ever get the beast finished.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:27 AM UTC
Well, for German armor there were predesignated spots for tools, roadwheels etc. Of course when you look at pictures, you see that not everything was put where it was 'supposed' to go. Same for Allied armor, although there appears to be more variability. It's amazing to see how much junk could be piled on a Sherman!!

Andy
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 02:33 PM UTC
American tankers stowed external gear ,roadwheels and track wherever they could stick it. cleaning rods, shovels, pickax and other basic issue items (BII), had their own stowage areas
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hiya charles, as some of the guys said before, there's no exact rule for stowage. except maybe round the turret,(obviously). However, the extra tracks were normally added for protection, like for the driver, the gunner and even extra armor for ammo-stowage. So put your tracks on tactical places!

Cheers,John.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

American tankers stowed external gear ,roadwheels and track wherever they could stick it. cleaning rods, shovels, pickax and other basic issue items (BII), had their own stowage areas

He's right ........................ LOAD THAT THAT SUCKER UP !
American's were master's of their vehicle stowage - especially in WW2

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP