_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anti-Air M2A2 Bradley
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
I read an article not that long ago, btu of course I can't rememer where I saw it...and it was about converting some of the M2A2 and M2A3 Bradleys to an anti-air variant....basically by replacing the 2 round TOW launcher with the 4 round stinger launcher off of the Stinger Humvee. As I remember reading it, it was so that the anti-air vehicles could keep up with the front line armored vehicles, as well as making it hard for the enemy to concentrate his firepower on the anti-air vehicles thereby making it easier to use aircraft to attack the other armored vehicles.

Alrighty....basically I would like to know if this is acurate or not....I am assuming that Rob would be able to help me best on this, since this is his line of work in the motorpool....

What I am thinking is.....taking the Tamiya M2A2 Bradley....adding the interior from the original M2 Bradley.....(I am assuming that it should just be able to drop in with no problems, as both kits are relatively the same save for the exterior look of the M2A2), and I have an old Italeri Stinger Humvee kit, that was missing the body.....it still has the turret and everything, just no Humvee body.....(I do have the Academy Humvee pickup....but don't really want to waste that on the Stinger variant of the Humvee....)

Would have to scratch build the plate for the front of the Stinger box....as the TOW one would obvioulsy not be big enough...that is if the Bradley actually had one.

I did see a picture of either a M2A2 or M2A3 Bradley that still had the TOW launcher....but had a 1 or 2 Stinger tubes attached to the top (when in the firing position) of the TOW launcher.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
Scott.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:20 PM UTC
Scott,
You are describing the LINBACKER version of the Bradley. Instead of the TOW Launcher, the Stinger box replaced it. Before the Linbacker came to be, all the AD units did was mount Stinger racks in the rear instead of the TOW tube racks.
I wish I could give you some web addresses, but I cant remeber any right know. Just do a search for the LINBACKER.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:27 PM UTC
Found a few pics after searching for "Bradley Linebacker" on Google:

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts