new to RC modeling / Metal Tracks for Tiger 1
pax
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm a new to the forum and to RC modeling, and I have a few questions. Hopefully, they aren't repetitive. I'm currently working on a Pershing and I have a Tiger 1 waiting to assemble.

How do the metal tracks sold by Stella Models differ from the tracks sold by those sold by Backyard Armor (are they made by Schumo?). The price differential is huge $120.

http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_113&products_id=1401

http://www.backyardarmor.com/Elite%20Armor%20Tamiya%20Tank%20Accessories.htm

Another question is how do you spray paint the cracks and crevices after you assemble the model? For example, I painted the exhaust and the exhaust shield for the King Tiger before assembling because I couldn't figure out how to paint in between the exhaust and the exhaust shield or between the Pershings' shocks and the hull.

Which upgrades really improve the appearance of the RC model?

Thanks in advance.

WhiteWolf
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 10:48 AM UTC
pax:

To put it simply, BYA's are made by Kenny Kong, StellaModels's are ~not~. Now I'll explain why Kenny's are the gold standard of RC tracks.

Kenny originally cast exact copies of the Tamiya tracks, much like the ones StellaModels shows. Low and behold the obvious flaw showed quickly: the open backs in the middle of the links. Its the reasons the plastic ones break so easily. Kenny adjusted his molds, and fixed that flaw. He did it for both the Tiger 1 AND the King Tiger, their stock tracks having the same problem.

Look at the inside track image of StellaModels's: http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/images/SM-56010_2.jpg

And now Kenny's at BYA: http://www.backyardarmor.com/16Tiger_ITrackcloseup.jpg

See that the pin is unsupported except at the ends? Thats the flaw. Kenny's are closed and supported all the way. The guys at Danville proved that nothing but Kenny's can stand up to the stress of hard running.

Other suggested upgrades if you go for metal tracks:

The improved idler and gearbox support-brace by Daryl Turner: [email protected]

If you don't have the black-cover gearboxes, get the new 'Type 4' ones. In North America, Karen at the AAF carries them: [email protected]

You might also want the beefier motors and/or gear reductions. Willy Loewer carries those: Catch him on MSN with ID [email protected]

I miss anything guys & gals?

WhiteWolf
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hey Max! Welcome to the forum!

One advice about metal tracks ... they look great sitting still, but once on the move they're hardly noticeable. Plus, they will serve you best if you're wanting to 'bulletproof' your tank. The old saying: "If you're going to play, ya gotta pay" stands true for metal tracks. They will put some extra strain on the gearbox, so unless it's to dramatically change the apperance of the tank (like changing the tank tread type on the Pershing) staying with the stock tracks will be the best bet. I have a set slated for this Sherman I have yet to build and that's what I'll do with it ... drive it inside with care. The ones BYA sells are the best.

As far as painting goes ... unless you have an airbrush, I think almost everyone paints some details before assembly. I know I do.

Hope this helped and that I didn't ramble on too much! :-)

Jeff
pax
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks WW and PantherF for your answers. I appreciate it and it was helpful.

WW I see what I mean about the difference between the tracks made by Kenny Kong and StellaModels'.

Now, I have to assemble my paintbooth and get back to building.

Thanks.

Max

_GOTOTOP