_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WWII US fuel cans
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC
I was just looking at an absolutely beautiful model in a magazine. Just fantastic! Then I noticed something that I have a question about. On the US fuel cans, should there be a seam running across the botton of the can (the can is laying on its' side and the bottom is visible)? It's the seam from where the 2 halves of the fuel can meet. I was once told that the bottom of the can was a single plate and so there would be no seam.
Also, where the 3 prong handle is attached to the top of the can, there are big gaps where the handle part is attached to the can. Shouldn't this be puttied? Or am I wasting my time when I do this? I'm talking about across the bottom of the handle as well as where each prong meets the top of the can. I think that the handles would be a separate piece from the body, but these gaps look huge in 1/35th scale.
I'm hoping that someone out there can set me straight on this.
Thanks,
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
No, your right, there should be no seem on the gas cans. The blitz cans were replicas of the germans gas cans and had a seam running all the way around the sides of the can, but the US version was made of only two pieces of stamped steel, the sides and top, and the bottom. No seam. Also no seam at the handles, these should be smooth.

Rob
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi,Craig. I could'nt agree more with Rob. I have 2 originals at home, and the base is one piece, the sides however are welded in the middle.

Hope I've been of any help, John.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi dragaonwagon any chance of a pic ?I'd like for one would like to see how visible the side seams are and how teh bottom plate is attached.

Josh Weingarten Aka shiryon
 _GOTOTOP