_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MAUS And Super heavy Tanks
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC
I am going to do a what if scenario dio soon and wanted some educated guesses as to which units would have recieved the Maus or similar tank. I'm guessing it would have been one of the heavy tank units, but could anyone hazard a guess at a particular one. Any thoughts or comments on the possibilities of these tanks would be appreciated, I know there was no definite action seen by these so it's pretty much artistic license but Iwould like it to be feasible.
Many Thanks
Robbo
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
503 sPzAbt

It's just a guess........

Nic
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:41 AM UTC
From the info I have, and other stuff I have seen online, the Maus wasn't envisioned as a tank in the traditional sense of the word. It was seen as a mobile pillbox. I don't see a sPzAbt getting these. I see them being used as fortifications not as offensive weapons. My somewhat educated guess would be that units would be created for their use, kind of like the railway guns were their own units. Now a panzer unit might take over the Maus's but would not be left in the normal TO&E like a traditional panzer Abtielungen, but smaller units of Maus's would have been attached to army's to serve defensive rolls, especially in the waning years of the war when defense was most important to the Germans. But it was never seen as a purely offensive weapon the way the other panzers had been. Check out achtungpanzer.com for more info on the super heavy tanks. They even have info on plans to mount two 88mm's on the mouse and a REAL super heavy tank that was envisioned for coastal defense. Look under panzer profiles and then P1000/P1500

Rob
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:00 PM UTC
101 of the SS
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:22 PM UTC
Also check out AFV interiors, it has some info and alot of reference.
Andrew

plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 05:02 PM UTC
I believe in a "what if " scenario a prominant SS unit like the PzAbt 504 LSSAH would have gotton a premier weapon system like that
 _GOTOTOP