_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fruil + blacken-it
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:53 AM UTC
Just did my first dip of Fruil tracks in blacken it. I did nothing to prepare the tracks prior to soaking them. I poured the blacken it over the tracks (in plastic container) and moved the tracks around and swished the blacken it around the tracks for about 7 minutes or so. They are already black... Did I leave them in too long? Will another soak add some brown to them or make them blacker?

I am going to let them dry for 24 hrs and then soak them again, as there are still some shiny spots.

Any experiences to share?

Martyn
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:39 AM UTC
It will make tha parts that are already Black darker. I would suggest maybe leave then in just until you see a color change and then take them out. I am working on some right Now as a matter of fact.

HTH
Herky
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hmmm...

They have been drying now for 90 minutes. After reading your reply Herky, I took a look at them and as they are drying they are lightening up +)

I think the next set I do I will try shorter time soaking, and just more soaks perhaps.

I used these directions for building and blacken'in:

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/home?userid={F9F3E062-FE3B-4434-9898-193F749A47C4}&inv=1FB3A519AFFA7E6&albumid={D01D4D9D-6BD8-4F3F-B9B3-B817CD515647}
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:13 AM UTC
I have used Blacken-it twice with Fruil Tracks. I like the way they finish. I have noticed also that the Blacken-it doesn'e always get into the raised detail areas. While you are soaking them, use a toothbrush on them to break up some of the surface tension. I ran a toothbrush over my tracks while they were in the fluid. Broke the tension up and the tracks colored better. I left mine in the solution for only a few minutes at a time. Afterwards I just mounted them and they were finished.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:35 AM UTC
I am building mine using the same method as you. I really like the Brass instead of the flimsy stuff that Friul Provides, there is no need for pre-drilling on my set.

Saves alot of time...

Good luck as you go you can always dust them to be a little lighter and sand as well.

Herky
 _GOTOTOP