Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for Nam Sheridan photos "Body Count"
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:27 AM UTC

Subject line pretty much says it all. I'm in search of actual photos of the Vietnam era M551 Sheridan named "Body Count". I've done some exhastive searches online but can't find this specific vehicle.

I've heard that "Tanks Illustrated" has a photo in it. I believe it's volume 6. I have the drawing that was done for the Concord book on Vietnam armor but from what I have been able to gather it's not entirely accurate. There should be MGs mounted near the loader's hatch.

Could also use specifics as to tank #, troop (B?), squadron etc. About all I know is 11th Cav.

Thanks,
Sherb
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 03:52 PM UTC
Third tank, "Body Count" is shown on color plate in Concord Publications "Armor of the Vietnam War, Allied Forces" book by Michael Green & Peter Sarson and is described only as 11th ACR vehicle

The first vehicle is "Body Count" described as "Tamky, March 1971. It should actually be Tam Ky, a town in Quang Nam Province in central Vietnam.

credits: vodnik

hope this helps ya

reb
Rhino
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
Yes, there are two photos of Body Count in Tanks Illustrated #6 by Simon Dunstan.

It is shown in a perimeter defense setting with a sunshade erected over the turret. It is in the format of the twin 50s over the commanders hatchand twin 30s over the loaders.

Rhino
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Sorry but as follows: 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, III Corps Tactical Zone 1969

the loaders hatch is armed with 2 7.62 M73 Mgs

The Commanders shield posts the name Blood and Guts across the top and The Stalking Rhino across the bottom
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the help Reb & Rhino!
Rhino
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Any time, look forward to seeing the project later.
 _GOTOTOP