_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55 & T-69?
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
Is the chinese T-69 basically a copy of the russian T-55 ???
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Yes, but lots of the details are different. It's a lot more than just changing a paint job and markings.The most distinctive difference is the side skirts.

Google T-69 and T-69II and you'll fin lots of photos.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
The T-59 was a Chinese copy of the T-54 and the T-69 is an upgraded T-59.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
ok, because I saw a vehicle that was turned into an AA platform using the t-69 and really did not look forward to the trumpeter kit, so was thinking of going ahead with a 55. Guess not. Well time to dive in............thanks for the advice guys.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
Yeah, it's a bit more involved than changing the driving lights and adding side skirts. The hardest part is adding the curved fan extension to the lower hull to accomodate the larger fan. It's very similar to the T-62 bulge.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Thanks bravo, guess im in for a fight huh?? lol :-)
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
First, the T-54 is essentially the same lower hull with a slightly different turret than the T-55.

And yes, the Chinese decided to do things a bit different than the russians when making their copies...making it hard on us model builders I suppose!

A suggestion...if you do nto want to do too much scratchbuilding, look into getting a Tamiya T-62 and T-55 and replace/laminate the rear hull part of the T-62 to the T-55 hull. It will probably not be as good as just scratchbuilding the bulge onto the T-55 hull, but it offers you another option.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:47 AM UTC
Interesting,.....something to look into instead of chopping up.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:14 AM UTC
I hate to once again be the bearer of bad news, but it won't work. (A few months ago someone wanted to put Tamiya track on a Trumpeter T-55, but it won't fit the sprocket) The Tamiya T-55 rear plate is wider and deeper than that of their T-62.
That said, the actual conversion isn't too hard. Start with the half moon shape underneath the plate, add a section of 1/25 truck fuel tank, and sand smooth.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate to once again be the bearer of bad news, but it won't work. (A few months ago someone wanted to put Tamiya track on a Trumpeter T-55, but it won't fit the sprocket) The Tamiya T-55 rear plate is wider and deeper than that of their T-62.
That said, the actual conversion isn't too hard. Start with the half moon shape underneath the plate, add a section of 1/25 truck fuel tank, and sand smooth.

Actually, I recieved a whole mess of Tamiya T-55 tracks and noticed the same sprocket problem. I just had some new sprockets cast up for me from a friend. If this is something that might be of interest to people, I can see if Sergej of SP Designs will make them available to people...?

As for the back plate...well, the T-62 is actually 1:32 scale, not 1:35, so the T-62 plate TECHNICALLY should be larger...but I am not sure, since I have not looked at the kits in question. However, I would imagine that either the plate could be modified by chopping or filling 9whatever need be) if you do not want to mess with making a curved section.

Personally, now that i have thought it over, I would buy a piece of Evergreen tube that was the correct diameter and then cut it to fit the T-55 back plate and work from their. No muss, no fuss, and it would probably be the most accurate way to do it.

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:41 PM UTC
Spades,

Im going to Waterbeach barracks on friday,

Theres an Iraqi type 69 with a dozer blade outside the guardhouse as a gate guardian.

Let me know which areas you need photos of

Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC
Greatbrit, if you could take pictures of the front, rear of tank as well as the hull (upper deck). Will not be using the turret, so I will not need any pics of the turret, just everything else I will need.

Thank you so very much for helping out with the reference photos as I do very much appreciate it.
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
If you do take pictures, could you please post them? I am thinking about this project as well, and I would love to see these pictures! They woudl be a great help!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greatbrit, if you could take pictures of the front, rear of tank as well as the hull (upper deck). Will not be using the turret, so I will not need any pics of the turret, just everything else I will need.

Thank you so very much for helping out with the reference photos as I do very much appreciate it.

Will do, although i doubt i will be able to get any shots of the engine deck.

The tank way the tank is positioned would make it difficult to get any shots.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 08:31 AM UTC
GreatBrit, any pictures would be appreciated, just you offering was more than enough in my book. Here's a beer. Will get you a real one when I go to the U.K (god willing) later this year.
 _GOTOTOP