_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
In progress 1/72 Scale Dragon M2A2 with ERA
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC
Here is the new 1/72 Scale M2A2 w/ ERA from Dragon, overall a really nice kit and makes me wish they made one in 1/35 scale...

Only changes I did was blankout the lower hull, add additional belly armor and drain plates and finally added some detail that was missing from the exhaust area using the box art as a guide.

I plan on painting it in NATO 3 color camo with Sand color ERA bricks. Heavy weathering and dust to be applied.

I started this Sunday night I noticed I need to take care of the seem on the one smoke grenade launcher...damn digtal camera

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC
Looks good, how much different is it from previous Bradley kts by Dragon? I have all of the other ones.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:03 AM UTC
Looks like its coming along fine, I also noticed the seams on the smoke launchers
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:18 AM UTC
Scott,

If you want to add ERA to the hull glacis, you need to remove headlights as they go on top of the ERA part.
Also some of the bolt heads on the turret armor plates should be cut off when you attach ERA parts there - I thought they would mention it in instructions...

I helped design ERA parts in this kit together with Ralph Zwilling (but DML forgot to include my name in instructions...)

Pawel
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott,

If you want to add ERA to the hull glacis, you need to remove headlights as they go on top of the ERA part.
Also some of the bolt heads on the turret armor plates should be cut off when you attach ERA parts there - I thought they would mention it in instructions...

I helped design ERA parts in this kit together with Ralph Zwilling (but DML forgot to include my name in instructions...)

Pawel

Yeah I have the headlights tacked into place so I can paint them with the rest of the vechicle in Nato 3 color camo, they'll come off when I attach the ERA plate.

I didnt recall seeing anything about removing the bolts on the turret in the directions. I thought it fit kinda werid and my ref photos I glanced at, it looked like the bolts where still there...

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC
Scott,
I posted the pages from the manual on the ERA for the Bradley a while back. Here is the article I posted them in. It is on the 1/35th Verlinden set, but you can still use the reference for the 1/72 kit.

M2/M3 Bradley High Survivability Armor Tiles (Reactive Armor for Bradley) (1:35)

My 1/72 Bradley should be in at my LHS today.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didnt recall seeing anything about removing the bolts on the turret in the directions. I thought it fit kinda werid and my ref photos I glanced at, it looked like the bolts where still there...

They probably didn't add this info to instructions and honesly speaking I never mentioned it to them so this may be the reason... On real Bradley to attach these triangular ERA support brackets you first need to remove three bolts per bracket from the turret armor plate, place the bracket on the turret and then replace the bolts. Only washers if anything remain between armor plate and bracket. So bolts indeed are still there - just now they hold brackets in place. I'm afraid that with bolts still in place under brackets the ERA blocks may stick out of the surface of the turret too much...
Of course some of the bolts on armor plates are holding the plates themselves in place and these remain as they are in the kit.

Pawel
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
that Bradley is coming along nicely... a lot of great detail in that kit...plus your photos are very well taken too...could easily be mistaken for a 1/35 scale kit

way to go Scott1
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
Updated Photos with Paint and weathering:

Well I painted it this past weekend and I finally got around to starting the weathering phase. I was trying to replicate the dusty weathering that is often seen on NATO camo over in Iraq. Kit was painted in Tamiya NATO Green, Black and Flat Brown for NATO Brown on US vehicles since I find the NATO Brown too Orange/bright for a US vehicle in NATO camo. The Sand is Testors US Army/USMC Desert Storm Sand from their Acryl lineup. The dust is done in MiG pigments, which is also Desert Storm Sand. It goes on dark but lightens up as it drys. Overall the effect isn't bad on a 1/72 model, but would look more convincing on a 1/35 scale model.

_GOTOTOP