Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Camouflage Pattern Painting
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
I've got some time on my hands and will be uploading the old Training Circular (TC) 5-200 Camouflage Pattern Painting, dated 28 August 1975. This is the manual that described how to remove the old white star and olive green markings and the reasons for camouflage painting. The manual does not give the various patterns to paint, with the exception of the M113 series of vehicles (M106 4.2" mortar carrier and M125 81mm mortar carrier).

The patterns and colors shown are not the NATO standard 3-color pattern. They are the old 7th Army 4 color MERDC schemes that were accepted for use by the entire army in the mid 1970s through 1980s. Note that the types of paints directed for use are not the Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC) paints.

Maybe after seeing the instructions and pictures of soldiers painting actual vehicles, so many modelers won’t be painting their post-Vietnam era armor in such pristine patterns.

The manual is posted here: TC 5-200
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 05:26 AM UTC
SUPER and Thanks.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 05:55 AM UTC
Wow, Rob, that brought back some memories. I remember re-painting vehicles In Germany in the late 70s. Get out the chalk and paint! We were always trying to slip "something extra" into the cammo pattern -- like a Playboy Bunny head.

I have some cammo "inspection sheets" from the mid-80s (86 and 87 are the dates on the sheets) for the three-color schemes. M113A2, Bradley and Abrams. If you like, I could scan them at work and send them to you. I don't build much modern stuff, but can't bear to throw away reference.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:14 AM UTC
Rob--you have time on you hands? You'd think all we do each day is sit at our desk and look at Armorama! #:-) #:-) The manual as Bob says "brought back memeories."
Good job
thanks
How can I contact Jim....does anyone know?
thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:39 AM UTC
DJ, Jim is on the net and has been posting the last day or so. I've got plenty of time right now, just took a week of leave. The last two classes graduate tomorrow and we won't have students in house until February.

Bob, sure I'll take them. I can always post them up with the old TC. Glad you guys got some enjoyment out of seeing the old OD green to camo phase of our Army. I want to do a "Team Yankee" 1/72 scale diorama and want to paint the M1A1s in the old MERDC schemes. Heck, if they are taking up space, I'll reimburse you for sending them to me via snail mail. Too valuable a reference to risk them ending up in a landfill.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 06:56 AM UTC
Rob:

It might be easier for me to photo-copy them and snail-mail them (my skills with the scanner are, shall we say, shaky). PM me with an address and I can send them next week.
 _GOTOTOP