_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Armored vehicle interiors
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
I have a couple of armor vehicles that I'd like to try to get interiors for. The first one is the newer Tamiya StuG III Ausf. G. I think this kit is an excellent model and would like to do a nice interior in it. Additionally this tank comes with two different gun options and I'd like to know if they both can be made from the same interior resin set.

Second vehicle is the old Tamiya M3 Stuart. I know there is an M8 HMC interior and M5 engine, but wonder if there is a plain Jane Stuart interior available.
TIA
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC
Rob--I know that I have a detailed Stuart interior and will scan it tonight when I get home. Do you want me to PM you or send it to your home e mail?
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
As far as the Stuart goes Rob - no interior is available for the M3's. Academy's new release coming next month (#1399) has a basic - but not complete - interior for the early M3. On my Tamiya model, I've scratchbuilt the interior and added an engine and partial compartment. It isn't quite as difficult as it may appear because the Stuart is so small. The only parts I didn't make were the Drive / Transmission assembly, which is a modified unit made from Verlinden's M5 Stuart and LVT-4 detail sets. The actual equipment for these vehicles were improved components from the M3 Stuart - so I just backdated them and changed critical details appropriate for the early M3. Unfortunately, with the upper hull in place - who'll know that I went to all that trouble

These are quick digital photos from a month ago. None of the Sponson .30cal equipment is shown here, most of the wiring wasn't in the model at this time, and the Radio is a spare maquette to help me visualize the space. I had to scratchbuild a SCR-193 to go into my model for that time period. I also didn't take photos of the upper hull at that time because I was in the process of hacking it up to enlarge the Turret Race to the proper diameter - and scratchbuilding a new Turret to go on the model. Tamiya's original Turret is a bit small.

Gunnie

RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
:-) Great job Gunnie! That is very impressive interior, makes me think I took up the wrong hobby, if I had half of your talent i'd be happy. What did you use to make the electrical conduits? Is it small gauge wire?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks Ron! I'm a big fan of solder for cabling in general. I use gauges from .010" all the way to .050". I get it from Radio Shack, Hudson & Allen, Verlinden, basically where ever I can find it. It's cheap and lasts through many models. Painting is a little tricky, but no more so than anything else...

Gunnie
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:11 AM UTC
Wow! excellent job here Jim!
I do use solder for a lot of scratching stuff, it's easy to handle and glue.
Cheers!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:11 AM UTC
Gunnie,
That is an impressive job. Creating an interior from scratch takes a lot of patience and dedication. If only because you know much of it will never see the light of day.

Well unless you make the top removeable I guess.

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,
That is an impressive job. Creating an interior from scratch takes a lot of patience and dedication. If only because you know much of it will never see the light of day.

Well unless you make the top removeable I guess.

Jim

Unfortunately, I'm gonna seal it up. The front hatches and turret hatch will be opened. I was going for all the depth of detail I could manage and maintain my sanity. I wanted to create the impression that when you looked in a hatch - you'd see everything on the miniature that you'd see on the real thing.

Doesn't it just figure that as I'm gearing to wrap this up - Academy will soon release TWO new M3 Stuarts with partial interiors!?! Maybe I should switch back to working on my Honest John Rocket Launcher - maybe the Fates will then deliver a plastic or resin one for everyone

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:42 AM UTC
Gunnie--another amazing piece of craftsmanship. I think the entire project is a tribute to your fine workmanship. I am awestruck (as usual) by the radio. Nicely done.
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie--another amazing piece of craftsmanship. I think the entire project is a tribute to your fine workmanship. I am awestruck (as usual) by the radio. Nicely done.
DJ

Thanks DJ - and that's my SCRAP Radio Set! I'll probably make a new maquette and park that one in a M29C Weasel one day...

Ah so many ideas, so little time...

Gunnie
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a couple of armor vehicles that I'd like to try to get interiors for. The first one is the newer Tamiya StuG III Ausf. G. I think this kit is an excellent model and would like to do a nice interior in it. Additionally this tank comes with two different gun options and I'd like to know if they both can be made from the same interior resin set.

The first part of your questions seems to have been lost somehow....

Jaguar made an very nice interior for the Stug III G... However, I tried to get one a few weeks back direct from Jaguar and they told me it was out of production. You may still be able to find one. I was able to find an interior for the Stug III F model also by Jaguar. I believe that Gunze Sangyo also sold the interior set but it's long out of production.

The Sturmhaubitze version of the Stug. G can not be made using the same interior. The 105 ammo was larger and the internal stowage racks were definitely different. In addition, the gun mounts, and gun details were different also.

Greatmodels. com is currently taking pre-orders for a new set by CMK - 1/35 cmk3024 StuG
III Interior Set. If it's a G model, you'll be in luck. I have a couple of the newer CMK sets and they are simply awesome.

The Spielberger book on Stug series is an invaluable resource when adding the interior details as the instructions are pretty bad with the Jaguar sets.

Hope this helps.
Tim
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
GunTruck-AWESOME DETAIL!!!!! I'm on my knees chanting and bowing; "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy......." After seeing those pics, my stuart is going to become scrap parts for a new build!

Sabot-A few days ago I was either surfing the net or reading through a book/magazine and ran across an awesome article on an M3 Stuart conversion. Will keep searching and let you know where/what it was. Try the barrel store for VP1562 and VP1647 I think they would be good starting points.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
Chief- "Try the barrel store for VP1562 and VP1647 I think they would be good starting points." Never heard of the barrel store. Can we have some details?
thanks
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hey Gunnie, turn up the volume!!! I can't hear that thing!

I quit! I quit building models, and will start to build puzzles.

Awesome work Gunnie. In a word...B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!! :-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC

Gunnie,

You're NOT going to put a lid on that, are you !?
I'd strongly consider making a mold of the upper structure and make a transparent cast of that. Just an idea...

About that Honest John : I served one year in an ammo company in Germany, and we had an Honest John (defused) set up next to our barracks. It was in a sorry state and during one weekend we repaired and repainted it. One of the NCO's had pics or plans of the original painting (white instruction lettering) and we redid that, too. It looked brand new (in 1985)... Little did I know that in a later life I'd be sorry I had no pictures !
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Rob--I started to scan th M3 Stuart interior. I do not believe these are that clear. If you consult : www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/m3stu/m3stu1.html. The shots are great and cover everything from the engine configuration to the machine gun mounts. If these do not work for you, please send me a fax number and I'll fire them off to you.
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sabot-A few days ago I was either surfing the net or reading through a book/magazine and ran across an awesome article on an M3 Stuart conversion.

Thanks, I did find the Stuart detail set, but the cost was $35. At that price, I'll wait to win one I did pick up the AFV tracks for the M3/5/8, those off-end connectors on the rubber tracks drive me nuts.

As far as the StuG III I also did a search and found that CMK(?) is doing a partial interior that will display the stuff visable through the hatches for around $18. That sounds like just what I need.

BTW, I did win (on eBay) the Hunnicutt book on the Sheridan and it is subtitled " A History of the American Light Tank", hopefully it will have good info on the various light tanks.

DJ--I did see the Kithobbyist site, but don't want to scratch an interior, just lazy I guess.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

About that Honest John : I served one year in an ammo company in Germany, and we had an Honest John (defused) set up next to our barracks. It was in a sorry state and during one weekend we repaired and repainted it. One of the NCO's had pics or plans of the original painting (white instruction lettering) and we redid that, too. It looked brand new (in 1985)... Little did I know that in a later life I'd be sorry I had no pictures !

Ouch! I wish you had kept some pictures - I'd pay good money for them. Believe it or not, the Honest John is really difficult to research. It's taken me five solid years to accumulate all the technical manuals on the M289 and M386 6x6 Launcher Trucks - and the M31 and M50 Honest John Rockets. Here's the genesis of this miniature project:

The frame is for a M139D 5-ton long wheelbase 6x6 cargo truck - on which the Launchers were based. The frame channels are Evergreen Styrene, and the suspension components are backdated Italeri M923 / M925 kit parts. The frame is sitting on an alignment jig to keep everything straight and level prior to mounting the 5-ton truck tires - resin ones in the happy model-clutter in the background. Behind the frame is the Cab - made from AFV Club Deuce parts where the sheetmetal is the same in both vehicles, and sheet styrene to replicate the larger parts used for the M54 series of 5-ton trucks.

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You guys are really going to inspire me to new and dangerous levels of insanity :-) dangerous, that is, for all plastic within a 10 mile radius...

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:45 AM UTC
1/35 tw2036 StuG III Partial Interior
Category: Armor Accessories 1/35

Partial Interiors shows anything normally viewed through an open hatch, but does not detail the entire interior - That's if you don't want to open your tank like a tuna can!

Availability: 100%
Retail Price: $23.00
Your Price: $18.40

This looks to be my best bet. The CMK Czech Masters kit is in the pre-order stage and is a little more. The complete interiors are running about twice as much or more.

Gunnie, your stuff looks so good. What kind of mesh did you use for the upper grill on the Stuart?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[What kind of mesh did you use for the upper grill on the Stuart?

I used the Ordnance Models' M3 brass grill for the upper deck breather. The grill for the rear deck (under the overhang) isn't made by anyone for the M3's I took a Tamiya Cromwell photoetch screen and sliced it down the middle to shorten its length. The actual M3 Stuart grill looks a lot like it luckily. It also has a stiffening bar in the middle, which was perfect to join the ends of the chopped Cromwell screen together with a little length of styrene strip. The mufflers will look pretty nice behind this screen...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DITTO!

Tread :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC
Ya know Gunnie, I don't know if your amazing talent is beginning to scare me away from modeling or inspiring me to do more, and more...

Tread.

BTW, keep the pics coming please. I think I can speak for the group when I say "we love 'em!"
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
Rob---have you had the opportunity to check out the website I sent you on M-3 Stuart interiors?
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya know Gunnie, I don't know if your amazing talent is beginning to scare me away from modeling or inspiring me to do more, and more...

Tread.

BTW, keep the pics coming please. I think I can speak for the group when I say "we love 'em!"

Gawd - I hope NOT! Everyone who participates here really helps me get motivated, no lie. I get into inspirational-funks like everyone else - but, since finding this forum I have also found interesting things to spark my curiousity. Sometimes I like to sit back and read the threads and not jump in, sometimes I like to jump in, sometimes I wanna stir them up (that's when I go looking for Kencelot!) but the thing is I come here everyday! I don't visit any other forum like that, never have.

Ya'll even got me to crack open the dungeon and pull the MM-1 Teracruzer and Mace Cruise Missile outta mothballs...

:-) Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP