_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Kettenkrad
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
For a very long time the only Krad out there was the ancient Tamiya version. Having built my fair share of them I was happy to see a newer Krad from Dragon. However, my gladness soon turned in fustration as I attempted to put the kit together. I have been building models for some 30 years and never have a found one so screwed up from the get go. I will relate some of what I found below.

1. Muffler - there is no muffler for the kit. I guess the Dragon designers failed to bend over and look under the vehicle. So its scratch building time.
2. Engine hatch. WAY too thick, and completely blocks the view of the engine. You either go with after market PE or as I did, get out the sanding sticks, thin in down and add mesh to the openings.
3. Suspension - Tiny parts on tiny location pins.
4. Track - !*&^(^%$#@^ and that's I have to say good about it. Seperate links and seperate pads - my eyes are still sore.
5. Fit - iffy at best.
6. Front forks - finish the &*^&%$^ track first before adding the forks. If you don't the forks are going to float in mid air.
7. Rear Nortek structure. Flawed with major seam down the middle. Again, its scratch-building time.
8. Rear seat. A plastic square and not realistic at all. I cut mine out and used epoxy putty to rebuild seats.

There's a great deal more I could write, but won't. Has anyone else experienced these problems with the Krad or am I just being too critical.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

4. Track - !*&^(^%$#@^ and that's I have to say good about it. Seperate links and seperate pads - my eyes are still sore.

I'd read elsewhere about the track. I can't imagine the reasoning for two piece links on such small items other than plain old sadism. Doesn't look llike I'll be repalcing my old Tamiya one any time soon.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2002 - 08:26 AM UTC
I too was very happy to hear that dragon was bringing out the krad ...But after reading a few articles in different magazines and on the internet I descided to stick to my old tamiya kit on the shelf and saved myself alot of time and effort (not to say money..damn thing is expensive!!) You have just reconfirmed what I have thought about this kit!! Thanks for the warning!

Richard
DangerAtom
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:21 AM UTC
No kidding about those tracks. I was cleaning them up durring a slow day at work and lost a piece (even the big pieces are tiny). It was lost in the netherlands of the break room for well over two weeks until a co-worker came out to my bench with a small sliver of plastic on the tip of his finger. I couldn't believe it hadn't been crushed or carried away on the bottom of someone's shoe. But after building the tracks, I wish it had. All I can say about the kit as a whole is build the kit before you attempt to put the tracks together, or you'll get so frustrated (as I did) and put the thing away (as I did) before you get it 10% done.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks, I've been considering whether or not to purchase the Kettenkrad. I even gave my old Nitto kit to Yoda to push my decision. Looks like I can skip the whole plan.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
Update 12/02 - The Krad is STILL not finished! Attached front forks and guess what? The Dragon located handlebars now interfere with the body. A quick check on the net and I find that the handlebars were attached to the forks via an extention! So I cut the bars off the top of the forks and fashioned the extention pieces with plastic stock. Bars reattached and its getting closer to finishing. (Although I have had ideas of just touching a match to this dog and melting it into a blob - I will not let it defeat me!)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 05:26 AM UTC
Like Sabot said above - THANKS GSP! I was considering buying the kit too, but, it sounds like more frustration than it might be worth in the end...

Gunnie (:-)
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 10:10 AM UTC
Mine sits painted and unfinished... except for the tracks... the "Pupchen" (sp??) gun is cool, but I don't thin I will EVER do those tracks... the M-46 tracks were bad enough!!
 _GOTOTOP