_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Move It Again - TacFireGuru's Willys Jeep
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
From my first, rather jokingly posted post

, which was me merely taking the parts out of the box, I have managed (thanks to Red4 and the group at the local Hobby Town) to start work on the trailer. Mmmmmm, about two hours of filling in sinkholes and cleaning up the trailer's body and frame (and watching a movie )

It's a beginning, slow, but a beginning. Pics to follow once the trailer is put together.

Mike (++) (++)
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:50 AM UTC
Been thinking about doing one myself. Let us know how it goes.

Jeff
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hey all,

Yep, it's been slow, but I've made progress! Not a lot, but hey!

The trailer is mostly finished, with some clean-up needed. The frame is basically done as is the base "body work." A lot of Squadron Putty has been used! Were I to turn the body over, you'd see what I mean! I screwed up and used the kit plate that "protects" the undercarriage instead of the PE; when I tried to remove it, it 'bout pulled stuff apart......so, I'll be sanding it a bit thinner after I've drilled the holes out. Darn! I did dry-fit the body to the frame and I see some issues coming up. The fit is rather "precarious." We shall see!

The motor is built, just not painted (far right). The grill is done sans the headlights (upper center).

I took a look at my Aber PE set for my newer version of the Jeep and I can tell you WOW, what a difference. There's WAY more than this Eduard set offers.....so much better.

More to follow!!

Mike (++) (++)

[edit - "popped" the skid plate off and used the PE...no probs after all. Frame and body now attached and checked the fit of the dash to body and hood to body. Seems okay.]
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
WOW!!!

Two days in a row being able to work on my Jeep. What next? The Lotto!??

Anywho....the trailer is still the same but I did get the frame and body together (yep, there be fit issues there!!). Squadron putty will be needed again.

The engine is in (I was going to paint and detail it but the hood will be closed, so I didn't) along with the radiator.

I did my first PE on it today. What a pain! I'll post some pics after more work.......the thing, doodad, dohicky (heater vent?) that attaches to the inside of the windscreen...that was done with crap for info where and HOW it is attached. That'll be a pic I post so you all can tell me if I 'd it up. The kit and the PE instructions pretty much show ya to "slap it on."

I did get to use my "Hold and Fold" from the Small Shop.....niceeeeeeeeee. I like it............ yea........

Oh, I realized I didn't have any thinner OR OD paint of any kind, so I couldn't paint. Duhhhhhhhh. Thought I had it. Ahhhh, too many (or too few) ...not sure.

[edit again - got the paints and thinner today!!!!(3/2/06) Ohhhhh, and a weekend coming up! Hot dang!! Also found a ref for the placement of the "thing, doodad, dohicky (heater vent?)." Had it placed wrong, but more or less corrected. Oh Saturday, oh Saturday.......]

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Got some more done ! Woohoo!!

The trailer is complete and the majority of the Jeep is done. Once Kitmaker is back online, I'll post pics.

I painted the Jeep and Trailer 10% yellow green and 90% NATO green then 50/50 mixed with thinner. Came out pretty darn good I think. (Thanks Paul, Nato308) Painted the tires by hand using Testors enamel, rubber....somewhat thinned, it went on smooth.

Discarding the kit windshield and putting in .010 clear PVC sheet instead.....I hope it will look a lot better than the distorted kit windshield.

Starting to have some fun with this one!

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
DISASTER STRIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was mixing more paint - doubled the quantity this time - doing it like I have done before, using a syringe and needle. I drew the XF-4 out fine and the XF-67. While putting the '67 in the bottle, the needle popped off the syringe!!! NATO GREEN EVERYWHERE!!! My workbench has it spattered everywhere, my IJ printer, my laptop (7 feet away!), my laser printer, my DESK!!! Oh, add my cheek, forehead, and throat! Sheeeee it'y poop!!!!!!!!!!!! Well..........minor set back.....some clean up and some new "shooting."

I see that Kitmaker is up again (THANK THOSE IN CHARGE!!!!) so I'll post the aforementioned pics this weekend. (Sorry, already cleaned the paint off ME.....hehhehe, THAT would have made a good post!! )

Mike (++) (++)

Gads! Back to HALO for a bit.....let the aggressions out in some "Slayer" or "CTF."

[edit....doesn't look like the "posting" is available......come on guys!!!!!!!!!]
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 09:55 AM UTC
Really quick question!!!!???

I painted the seats (canvas areas) using Humbrol enamel #159, Khaki Drab. Is that okay?? Or should I use a different color??? It's NOT too late to change.

Also, how about the Jeep's canvas top?? Can I use the Khaki Drab, or should I use something else? How about highlights???

I also have Vallejo's Khaki. If need be, I can go to the LHS and get the correct color. This is important, as I will be doing another Jeep, two GMC 2-1/2 tons, an M20, and an M16 HT....they all have "seats." Any help will be appreciated!

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (++) (++)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:31 AM UTC
Mike the canvas seats and tops varied. So the Khaki Drab is Ok. I tend to do it with a lightened color (add some white) and then drybrush with it straight out of the bottle.

Cheers
Cliff
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:21 AM UTC
Cliff, thank you!!

This pic shows the Jeep and trailer after their initial painting ( my "virgin" white turntable ain't so white no mo'):

A close up of the Jeep:

Jeep and trailer - the Jeep's top has not been painted, only on there right now to set the top's side supports (please note - the windshields are two separate pieces of .010 clear "glued" with the "Formula 560 canopy glue). One other issue, what can I do about the seam/separation between the hood and the main body? It seems to be a pretty big gap:

This one gives a clearer view of my question regarding the seat colors. They've been painted straight Humbrol Khaki Drab....I've not yet followed Cliff's advise:

I really look forward to your input and views.

Many thanks,

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 02:48 AM UTC
Finally, an update. Mostly what I did was clean things up some and add the light and wire and bracket. The bracket was made from copper sheet. The light's wire was from some very thin copper wire.

Sorry for the blurry pic. Can't seem to get my HP to focus correctley.

Mike (++) (++)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
Mike

Good job on an old kit I like the shade of the canvas seats and top Will you be toning down the tires any? I use Tamiya NATO black anymore It's a bit faded (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
ZA KRYPTON!! Sir, yep....I'll tone down the wheels. In the pics they are pretty "bright," in a dark way. So far there is no weathering. That will be corrected soon enough.....got me some pigments. I'll be taking Mr Roo's "drybrushing" suggestion to heart for the canvas areas. More to follow!

Further suggestions and comments are more than greatly appreciated!

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 04:15 AM UTC
Yogie, got some more done finally!!!

This one show's the top attached, hitch on, and trailer attached. The canvas top has gotten the initial paint job:

Hmmmmm, another blurry shot (I need a new camera!!!!!):

The gas can in the forefront is from the Italeri "Jerry Can" set with the Jeep's PE handles and cap.

Getting there, slow but sure!

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
As I said, I really need a new camera. I have an HP 715 which is nice, but I get pics that are clear and I get pics that are blurry. Sheeit. What a pain!

Mike (++) (++)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 04:39 AM UTC
I noticed there is no driver. Are you just going to display the vehicle with no dio?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
Alan,

Ultimately, this Jeep is going to be a "side note" to a dio I'm designing. It'll be parked in a the main courtyard...kinda "hangin' out." Originally, it was going to be a main piece, but I now have the updated one with a better PE set. This one was more "whet my whistle, get back to modeling, and try the PE again."

The figgies that are included in this set may be used elsewhere in the dio, tho I imagine, greatly modified.

Just about all that's left is adding the decals, some touch up (reflectors and whatnot), weathering (got some new powders to try compliments of NATO308), the antennae, some "stuff" for the trailer, and I'm done (I hope). I intend to take one or two of the wire spools, clean 'em up, and wrap fine wire around them. Should fit with just about any scenario.....

Guess I'm doing okay, as no one has said "Hey, ........"

Mike (++) (++)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
Looks good. I can remember building one about 20 years ago in the Rat Patrol mode with the .50 mounted in the back. It was a rather cool Jeep kit, better than the Monogram one I had previously built some 30 years ago.

I've had a soft spot for Jeeps because of the TV show Rat Patrol. I doubt there's a 1/35 scale plastic Jeep I haven't built.

Somehow I even got the old school Eduard PE set for the original Tamiya Jeep. Someday I will build another one, but it's hard spend money on eBay for one since the newer Tamiya Jeep is so cheap at Hobby Lobby during sales.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 06:25 AM UTC
Oh how I loved the "Rat Patrol!!" So fun, so macho, so kool, back then

Between this one and the newer Tamiya; don't waste the money on the one I'm doing. I have the newer one and it is soooo much better. The Eduard PE is old and I'm sure outdated. The Aber is really nice!!!

More to follow all!!

Mike (++) (++)
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As I said, I really need a new camera. I have an HP 715 which is nice, but I get pics that are clear and I get pics that are blurry. Sheeit. What a pain!

Mike (++) (++)

If you are not using one, a tripod would help. Even if the camera wouldn't attach, something firm to rest it on would help immensly

Jeff
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hey all! Still here, still working on it. Yep, I am SLOW.

I was doing touch up painting and managed to get acrylic paint on the windshield. Crap. Now I'm trying to get it off. Not too much luck; and I don't want to replace it again! That was a real pain.

Front wheels are glued on. I need to adjust the rear wheels as the Jeep does not sit level. Another mis-calculation, but a good learning experience. Headlight lenses are in too. Whoopeee! Getting frustrating again with the end of the campaign coming up and I haven't been able to do too much. Yet I'm not one to just "throw it together." Arrrrrghhhh.

PMS level is kicking in.....tempted to introduce this Jeep to my Ruger .45 LC. BUT, I wouldn't have the time to build my newer one, so, I shall "suck it up," continue on, fix what I can, and hope for the best.

Grrrrrrrrr..........

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hey hey!!!

Got some more done! I've managed to do one of the critical things; got the wheels on and LEVEL!

I was not really watching for this, but when I added the wheels without glue, I realized that somewhere along the line, I didn't take into consideration the alignment of the wheels. Well, fixed it by removing most of one connector, and got 'em level.

Also, took the fuel can holder from the Tamiya GMC add on and added it in place of the garbage pin/shelf thingy on the Jeep. I have some PE straps/buckles that I'll use on the fuel can. Should work out nice.

Shhhhheeeeiiiiiit, less than 2 weeks. Gotta get going! Next step...future it, add decals, weather and pigment it, and hope for the best!

Mike (++) (++)
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
It's coming out nicely! Have fun!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 03:49 AM UTC
Call it significant battle damage! Keep at it.

Jeff
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Call it significant battle damage! Keep at it.

Jeff

SBD?? I think we get Disability Compensation for that!! Yep, need it.

Mike (++) (++)
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hey all!! Once again, time IS running out so I decided to forgo my schoolwork to do some more on this little buggy!

This one is a "frontal" view; PE wipers, mirror, and my scratch bumper "clevis'."

Back view; the fuel can holder from the GMC accy kit, an Aber buckle, and lead foil strap holding the fuel can. The pic doesn't show it, but I added the trailer light wiring.

Side view; you can kind of see the wire for the trailer light.

Pretty much all that is left are the decals and weathering. Pretty basic, but it's taken how long??!??!??!

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?? Still time to modify..........................

Mike (++) (++)
 _GOTOTOP