_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Tick tock.....
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 10:37 AM UTC
Gotta wait 24 hours for my Woodlands Scenics Water Effects to dry on my submarine diorama... grrrr.
Anyone used that stuff before? This is my first go with it, any tips?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:49 PM UTC
ive recently been wondering how to make water in my nam dios, can u tell me more about this stuff? cheers
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC
I just baught something yesterday : some kind of jelly used to make candles. You can melt it and then melt it. I'll use it someday to represent still water. The fact that it is still very jellyish means that I won't be able to make waves with it.
A good point is that it's very translucent.
Holocaust59
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:17 AM UTC
Lest we forget,
It's in an approximately 500ml bottle with a nozzle similar to those for applying mastik. The actual stuff looks very similar to white wood glue in both consistency and appearance and I suspect that it might even be the same but repackaged as 'hobby stuff' so they can triple the price! It's supposed to dry clear after 24 hours (yawn). So I'll let you know if it does, gonna check it out this evening, 6 hours away UK time. If it does dry clear, (fingers crossed) I will be able to paint it from 'below the surface' to add a refraction effect.
Other than that,you know about as much as I do about the stuff at the moment as it's the first time I've used it, however, it does say on the bottle that you can learn more about using it at www.woodlandscenics.com but when I tried to check out the site it wouldn't load up.
Have fun!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just baught something yesterday : some kind of jelly used to make candles. You can melt it and then melt it. I'll use it someday to represent still water. The fact that it is still very jellyish means that I won't be able to make waves with it.
A good point is that it's very translucent.

Penpen,
I know the stuff. Problem with this is : it never gets really hard, but stays a bitt jelly-like all the time. You can't paint it, and air bubbles collect in it when you cast it. For these reasons, I very much doubt if this is a good product for making models...

... but it makes the most beautiful candles !!!
 _GOTOTOP