MAIL CALL DIO progress pics
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:16 PM UTC
I have some pics of my mail call dio progress. http://[email protected]
There under page two ww2 and vietnam pics in 2and3rd page of my album. Have a look and give me feedback.

Thanks PFC
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC
Let me have the honour to respond as first one on this pictures.

From what I can see from the pictures (not to disappoint you but they are a little bit blurry.)
so don`t get angry on me if I have said things that are not true due to misinterpretation from my side.

It looks very good to me but I have a few questions though.
The road looks a little bit to new to me. It`s one flat surface. All the cobblestones are on one level ussualy there is some leveling in it due to the traffic that drives over it. As your building shows some severe damage there probably drove some vehicles like tanks through your street.
Where did you made the street from??

As for your building I can say that it looks good to me
the rubble and debrie that lies inside the building looks very natural to me.
I also like the detail of the damaged streetlight on the corner of the sidewalk (I hope I interpreted that right from the picture if I`m wrong please say so)

You probably have thought of this but maybe you could put some propagandaposters against a wall. That is often a big plus in your dio

But anyway looks very good modellingbrother
keep us updated

pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hey Faust,
The road looks level in the pics but it really not my camera is not to good. I used plaster of paris and by accident it turned out way better than exspected while trying to smooth it it became wavy in places which was good I did not scribe bricks in a few places so it kind of looked likr pot holes. I will get a better camera when its done. The propaganda posters are good idea I think there is a place that you can download posters but im not sure. I will dirty the street a little more.

Thanks for the comments, PFC (:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:05 PM UTC
Firstly let me add a direct link, click here.

I think your building and especially the rubble looks very convincing. Really good work. I have to agree with Faust on the road point of view. What I see is that the footpath and road are made the same with small bricks. This wouldnt be very common. The footpath would be edged with a long "forget the word" slab or something. As these bricks were not cemented in place, but filled with sand between them a lot of damge could be shown, ie missing or even a bomb hit where the would be a hole and lots of these paving bricks would get scattered around.
At the end of the day its your dio and this is only my opinion, but I hope it helps
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hey plasticbattel, are you saying the walkway is smooth or it has bigger bricks. Would it look right two let adhesive run in to the cracks and sprinkle sand in and then wipe away the access. I think it is alittle late to change my walkway.

Thanks PFC (:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 01:37 PM UTC
If you scribed it from plaster, you can always fill over with plaster again and then re-scribe.

But this would probably cause a lot of dust and ruin your work already completed. If you are happy enough, its OK by me. Just some points that i saw, that I thought may help, nothing that MUST be done!! Its a fine dio as it is.
I like your timber rubble. Did you burn the timber or is it painted?
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:08 PM UTC
I used a small torch ( PLEASE USE CAUTION) to burn the wood this is way better than painting unless you have fire sprinklers :-) . I think I want change anything my screw up my finished work.

PFC
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 04:37 PM UTC
PFC - i realize you are not done yet, but overall my main comment would be to make sure you have a TON of debris in the roadway. Spare tires, furniture, bits of broken window frames, etc. would all be appropriate debris. And if you feel your road is too "even", I suggest that gouging out a few sections of tile to show some shell craters might be a good move.

The buildings themselves look very well done... I'm glad to see you have decided to finish out the back/interiors of the buildings as you have done - this adds so much more visual appeal when peaking through windows and doors!

Look forward to seeing more photos!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 06:47 PM UTC
PFC

I have some links here where you can find propaganda posters
hope it is of some help
http://www.oldeagle.nu/post/index.html
http://wopr.stanford.edu/propaganda/

this is a link keith posted a little while ago and is a great resource for prop. posters and commercial signs
http://www.internationalposter.com/home.cfm

These are really links that you need in your favourites list because they save a terrible amount of money :-) :-)

pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:13 PM UTC
I have 3 new progress pics of my mail call dio. Just wondering if the tank,truck and 6 figures are crowding it to much. I didnt intend to have a tank but the figure receiving the mail out of the truck is wearing a tanker uniform. So I decided to mix 2 infantry and the tank commander and the other crew member. Im sure this could of happend some where in the mail process. Have a look yall give me ideas ever time post. There under ww11 to vietnam dios.

Thanks PFC (:-)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
PFC

From what I can say from the pictures I can say, looking good and I don`t think that your dio is crowded. Looks like a nice busy streetscene where the soldiers are receiving their mail and they are quite happy with it
no finish it and show us the pictures

_GOTOTOP