Berlin 1945: Building interior - II
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi again

I just spend some time working on my ruins interior.

The rubble is made from a mix of PolyFilla (filler) with added catlitter and sand. Various pieces of wood, bricks etc. has been added when the rubble-groundwork was dry. The bust (on the tables right) is made from a piece of balsa wood and a Dragon head. The picture on the wall is from Verlinden. The paper lying around is made on the computer.

The wallpaper is paper, which I "painted" with whiteglue thinned in water and added some lightbrown paint. I left some of the edges free of glue, so I could tear it and make it look more realistic - if you ask me .

Woodwork (floor etc) is balsa.

Next step is to give the rubble a good piece of powder to make it dusty, and add some more rubble on the floor in the corner.

Comments and such are ofcourse welcome. Thanks for watching

MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
Simon:

Very nice work. I really like your color choices,
especially the blue in the trim, door, etc. When you
get all that dirty dusty kind of feel to it, it's be really
a winner. But dude, that was such a KOOL idea to
make a bust using a 1:35th scale haid. Ah. . . why
didn't I think if that? That idea goes in ma' memory
bank, fer sure that's a big ten four!!

Nice work,

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
I too Love the bust idea! Great idea.
I like all the 'stuff' in the scene. Whats your plan for the interior? The table looks to 'setup' for a regular crumble. It looks as if a soldier has picked it back up and placed it there. With the rubble underneith it and not a lot on top it looks like it came after the rubble fell.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Good work Simon.First of all, i liked the bust from Balsa+Dragon head so much..very good idea. Your detailing is really great ...i have a few things to add more realism to this scene;
1. a few single bricks on the floor,broken ones and some brick red rubble.
2.broken glasses inside the room

congrats
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
Very nice job so far. I like the bust idea as well. As a former resident of a refurbished bombed out apartment bulding in Berlin, here are a few of my observations:
A coal stove would be a very interesting addition, especially since they were found in most of the larger main rooms. The floors in every apartment I ever visited were painted, usually a dark brown. Finally, in 1945, as this depicts, with the shortages toward the end of the war, scrap wood was not to be found anywhere, especially after a building was recently bombed. So much so that after the war Berliners would attend a Kohlentheater, and be charged a lump of coal for admission, or would "buy" tree stumps in the Gruenewald they would spend days and weeks digging up just to burn.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. I'll try to answer them all:

Quoted Text

table looks to 'setup' for a regular crumble. It looks as if a soldier has picked it back up and placed it there. With the rubble underneith it and not a lot on top it looks like it came after the rubble fell.

- Right next to the door a soldier will be placed. He's the one who moved the table. On top of the table dust and small debris will be added.

Quoted Text

1. a few single bricks on the floor,broken ones and some brick red rubble.
2.broken glasses inside the room

- Yep. Already done. The glass...ofcourse. Will be added.

Quoted Text

A coal stove would be a very interesting addition [-] Finally, in 1945, as this depicts, with the shortages toward the end of the war, scrap wood was not to be found anywhere, especially after a building was recently bombed.

- Wow. Thanks for that information.
I like the coalstove, but I don't think there's room for it. So I'll pass that one. Nice idea though. As for the wood: I get your point. What I'm trying to depict is a scene with tension and hopefully give the viewer a sense of the chaos and destruction Berlin suffered in the last days. The building is a german administration office of some sort, hence the paper and the portrait on the wall, and it is guarded by a small detachment of german soldiers. They have turned the building into a small fortress of some sort: The doorway guarded, a mg nest outside, a panzer-faust ready of the first floor etc. That explains why no civilians has got hands on the wood, but doesn't explain why the soldiers hasn't used the wood yet either. Do you buy that story?

Again thanks for your replies. Useful, indeed.

PS: I kind a like the idea with the bust myself . Glad you liked it as well.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 04:11 AM UTC
Simon, excellent job so far, great idea on the bust.
You might want to fill in the seam between the two bldg. halves [ or is it photo shadow ], just looks a little too odd.
I like the broken glass in the window frames also, are they balsa ? also how about a door half - [auto-censored] hanging off ?
Cheyenne
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the broken glass in the window frames also, are they balsa ? also how about a door half - [auto-censored] hanging off ?

Yep, thats also balsa.

In fact a piece of the door is lying on the floor, right next to the bust. Another piece of the door should be hanging from the top-hinge, and the rest will placed either outside or inside the building.

About the seam - I know. I'm trying to figure out how to hide it. Thanks for reminding.

Thanks for your reply.

Simon
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
Just got back to this thread - The table deal is cool - you've got that covered!
Panzercmdr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
Simon,
You did an outstanding job on the dio I like how you did all that detail and the work you put in. The paint you chose for the building looks good and I also like the picture you put on the wall :-)
 _GOTOTOP