_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Flak 36 a dream from Dragon
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 07:10 PM UTC
I remember the feelings many years ago when I at last had my sticky paws clasping the latest plastic offering after saving for weeks from my meagre pocket money. The impatience of the ride home on the bus devouring the instructions either from the back of the packet in the case of airfix, or a printed bundle of paper almost torn from within the box, filled with all manner of sprues. The rush to assemble my tools at home, newspaper to cover the dining table and then the bliss of getting my glue coated fingers on those shiney plastic components, which over a matter of hours became a plane or tank maybe a car. The rush to put on the decals often before paint and glue had dried fully, meaning that my fingerprints often sprawled across the surfaces, my signature.

Then came the time, when as a fully fledged worker, I could go and purchase models almost whenever I wanted, often to put them in a cupboard awaiting my attentions, sometimes months or years later.

Last week I had a flash of the past when having read the various reviews by the likes of Teacher, I happened across the Dragon Flak 36 in my local model shop. I opened the box on the counter, gazed amazed at the way that the carton bulged with all manner of pieces, plastic, etched, turned brass and knew despite being on benefits that I just had to have it. Thank you MR Visa.

I got home the normal traffic and pedestrians holding me up, until at last I could rush to my work bench and commence my build.

The kit itself is a marvel of modern moulding, in some cases parts will go together, where glue is hardly needed. Minimal filling is required and much of my time over the past week has been taken up with cutting, fitting and running liquid weld around the joints until I have been left with a model that I am proud to have sitting on my desk awaiting the touch of my airbrush. And I have not even started building the transport units yet.

I used to dread the way that Dragon kits fitted together, but I shall now be building more of these newer offerings, because they are miniature feats of engineering.

It is nice to have those feelings of pleasure that only youth seems to bring to reality.

John

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC
WOW - impressive. My dad got me one of these as a gift and the box does not do it justice (it does a good job). I can't wait to build it.

Nice RAD8 in the back...
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC
John:

Thats a nice Flak u got there. The detail is just amazing on that thing. Wow

Good job
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
oh man! I gotta get me one of those!!!

nice clean build up BTW
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC
Looks great! Can't wait to see it when it's painted and weathered!!!
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
mine is at the same stage as yours and boy does this kit go together smoooothly :-)
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 01:34 AM UTC
I feel the same way with what you said and I also have one of these kits on the bench. Looks awesome can't wait to see it finished! Good job.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 02:06 AM UTC
I'm working on the ancient Tamiya Kit - WOW! I'm Jealous.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Looks great John. I too have the old Tamiya offering, but also a set of Eduard PE, which I'm sure will make it the equal of the Dragon version... :-)
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Well I reached the wheels and thought at first, why on earth have they made the tyres in sliver format? Gosh....once built you should see the level of detail in the tread. This kit just keeps on amazing me.

John
 _GOTOTOP