Hosted by Darren Baker
M-275 2 1/2 ton Nam tractor progress
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC
Here are a few pics of my second scratchbuild attempt. Let me know if the fifth wheel looks ok.

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
Keenan

In the first pic the 5th wheel looks like it's tilted towards the right What did you use to build the 5th wheel?
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hey Chad I think its the angle I took the pic that makes it look crooked. But this is my first attempt so it could be off. Well I used the technique Dave (animal) uses. I took and drew one side of the fifth on paper. This you will have to guess to get it close it took me a few times before I got the size to my liking. After you draw it fold the paper in half and the sides will be equal when you cut it out. Then take the cut out and glue it with white glue to a piece of styrene I think i used 030 or 040 thick. After you get it cut out of the stryene you can soak the paper off with water.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
Looks good to me. Good job so far.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
Looking good Keenan. I like your fifth wheel set up. As far as the fuel tank goes I found that it was better to totally scratch build one instead of trying to modify the kit one. I did use the step from the left side and attached it to the new fuel tank. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your progress. By the way the air tanks that were under the chassis were relocated to the passenger side where the old fuel tank was located.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks men glad you like it. Dave on the air tanks were they a set for the trailer and another for the tractor. How do you get the curve in the stryene for the fuel tanks thought you might have a technique.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks men glad you like it. Dave on the air tanks were they a set for the trailer and another for the tractor. How do you get the curve in the styrene for the fuel tanks thought you might have a technique.

1. Yes there were a set for both.

2. I glued a thicker piece of plastic stock on the face side of the tank so that I could sand it to the shape desired. You will only have to break the edges to round it a very little.

3. On the air tanks I filled them on the back side with plastic scrap that fit the hole left in the casting and fill and sanded it to shape. Using the plastic scrap is so that I do not have to use as much filler.
 _GOTOTOP