_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sherman M4A3 lights
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:45 PM UTC
Hello all. I am almost done with my sherman. I am going to do the lights but can't find any good data on the color of the lights. I have looked at the pictures on this site and didn't find anything. The instructions say to paint the main head lights chrome (I actually did find a great picture of that on this site, but thats the on set of lights I have information on). Here is exactly what I am looking for.

1. On the front lights the main lights are chrome, but there are some small lights on top of the main lights and I need to know the color of those.

2. The back the lights are divided in half with a top section and a bottom section (which seems to be a little larger than the top). I need to know the color of both those sections.

I am going to try the method of drilling them out (I have already done that) and putting tin foil in, then painting it with clear paint. I want to be sure that I use the right colors though. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 06:21 PM UTC
Andrew,

there are a couple of really good pictures of both the head- and taillights in Squadron's Walk Around of the Sherman. I have looked it up for you and the smaller light on top of the head light is clear (chrome) too. This was a blackout light, for driving at night when there was a chance of being seen/attacked by the enemy.
The taillights : the top section (which is about the shape of an eye) is clear red, the smaller slit below that is the rear blackout light, which (as far as I can tell from the picture) is also clear (chrome).
HTH
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC
Andrew--unless someone else can find more convincing data, the front light is clear. You can simulate your main headlight with either a chrome or flat white. Better to use a clear lens. The Blackout markers on top of the front light are just that markers. They are white in color. On the rear, your tail lights have red at the top and once again white on the bottom. They would look clear in the photo I guess because someone took the white tape out of the plastic cover.
DJ
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:14 AM UTC
thanks for the info guys, exactly what I was looking for.
 _GOTOTOP