_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cement for track links?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hello everyone. I was just wondering.. what is a good slow-drying cement that you guys use for individual track links?

Thank you.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 12:05 PM UTC
i use the testors glue in orange tube, and depending on tracklink, i use a needle to apply the glue. works for me, and i leave it dry overnight for small items like links.

reb
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 12:32 PM UTC
I like the old testors tube as well. I also will click together the links getting them into the shape I want and the using liquid cement to lock them into their final position. It's what works for me.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi if you can get Humbol Liquid Cement, that is a slow drying mix, which I use then Tamiya thin or plastick weld for the final adhesive.

Regards,

John
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
I like to use testors liquid cement-the black bottle-I only use a small amount per link. When dry, it leaves the tracks slightly flexible, this allows some room for adjustments.
HerrGray
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 185 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi,

I have had luck with the Academy liquid cement.... I bought it after having two bottles of Revel liquid cement go solid on me....

I have used Tesors as well.... it works ok too, but in my opinion the Academy is the best I have use so far.... (though could be a Tayama copy) :-)

I think the key here is liquid cement, most work well

Gray
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC
Is it possible to do an entire side and still be flexible enough to fit them after some drying time or do they need to be done in sections?
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
I use either Testors liquid cement in a bottle or MicroScales liquid cement in the green labeled bottle. Both are slow setting and will give you plenty of time to do an entire run before attaching to your model.

Mike
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
I use MEK for the bottom runs,(very fast drying) and Humbrol for the top runs and around the idlers and sprockets,careful not to get it on the teeth of the sprockets
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Thanks for all your replies. I do have one of those Testors black bottle things with the long applicator tip, but I never used it cause I feel that liquid cement is cleaner.
I read an article once where this guy said he uses scotch tape to hold a bunch of links around the curve, then applies the cement and after it dries he removes the tape. Has anyone ever tried something like that?

Thanks again.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 12:31 PM UTC
I've heard of the scotch tape but I think it doesn't sound like it would keep the shape you are going for very long. I assemble mine in sections. I do the bottom run and then the top run as solid pieces. Then I go add links to connect them slowly together to form the verticle pieces. I also cement the drive sprocket in place as it gives me a reference point to work and measure from.

A handy tip: Try to find out the correct number of links for the tank you are working on. I've completed ones that I thought were O.K. and then looked at different ref's than what I'd used and seen that my tracks were too droopy or tight.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 04:43 PM UTC
sounds like you would have to be very careful also and not get any cement on the tape or you might get some residue...

propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
I found that SuperGlue will give the best bond, If your talking rubberband type trax that are under lots of stress.
 _GOTOTOP