Hosted by Darren Baker
Field Mess Equipment
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
At some point in the future, I'm planning to convert one of the M35A1s in my stash to represent the field mess truck in my first unit. The Mess section built up a plywood shelter in the back and had the stoves and ovens set up inside, and one side had a folding walk up platform which allowed one side of the shelter to have a serving line from the truck. I'm sure that a LOT of mech units did the same thing.

To do this right, I'm going to need to have (scratch build I'm sure!) not only the field stoves (M2?), but some immersion heaters in garbage cans as well.

Does anybody have access to either the TMs for either of these or some good photos that can be used as a guide to build these?

And BTW have both of these items now gone the way of the Jeep and the P-38? (The "tool", not the airplane :-) )

Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:14 AM UTC
I still have my P-38....in original wrapper too!!!

Animal (Dave Willet) is probably best source for this type of info, though sometimes Mr Roo surprizes you with something he's got.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC
Tom, let me see if I can come up with something for you. Our unit had the trailers and did not use the M35 series as you have described. I will check with my source at Eustis and see if we can come up with something. PS. I still got a couple of the P38's.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hey gents for us that served in other forces, what the hell is a P38?

I know it as a pistol which I am sure you are not talking about in this thread.

John
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
The old P-38 was a can opener that we got to open the C-rations cans. It had a hole in the end so that we could attach it to a key chain or other item. I kept mine on my dog tags chain.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
Here is a link to one site which describes the food truck of the K Troop, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Black Horse Unit. http://www.ktroop.com/messhall.htm

I think you can contact the web master of this site and he may be able to help you further
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:45 AM UTC
Tom:

Give me a couple days to see what I can dig up for you. I'm assuming you can wing it on garbage cans & mermite containers ...

John
who, as an old QM, ought to have this stuff at his fingertips ...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC
I keep a P-38 on my Key chain.......... never know when you'll need something (somewhat) sharp.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The old P-38 was a can opener that we got to open the C-rations cans. It had a hole in the end so that we could attach it to a key chain or other item. I kept mine on my dog tags chain.

Thanks Dave, yes we had them also. Ours were a little larger than the US ones but performed the same purpose for our Compo ration tins. Long gone with the advent of boil in the bag, but I still have a few sets knocking around too.

John
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the great responses!

I can see what appears to be one of the burners for the stove in the pictures Dave sent, right by the trailer wheel behind the mermite cans. And I'm pretty sure that the large box shaped item under the tarp is a field stove. I seem to remember you could use these either as an oven if the burner was inserted in the bottom, or as a stove if it was on the top. But even though I wound up being designated as Battery "Mess Officer" (just like every other 2LT, I had the good sense to stay out of the Mess Sgt's way!

I think I've got some mermite cans in some of the Verlinden accessories, as well as something which will suffice for a coffee pot. And John, you're correct, I should be able to "wing" it on the garbage cans. Worse comes to worst, you could probably get away with simply sticking a "stack" out of the top, since most of the immersion heater was at the bottom of the can any way.

And I still keep a P-38 on my key chain, as well as a second on on my dog tag chain (which I almost never wear anymore.) Believe it or not, I was concerned about losing it as a "weapon" by some over zealous airport security guard immediately after 9/11.

I worked with a former Marine who told me they referred to the P-38 as a "John Wayne"!

Tom

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
http://www.cdpetronisinc.com/MoreMilitariaPageTwo.html

http://www.armytents.com/imrshtr.jpg

hope this helps ya somne

reb
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I've got some mermite cans in some of the Verlinden accessories, as well as something which will suffice for a coffee pot. And John, you're correct, I should be able to "wing" it on the garbage cans. Worse comes to worst, you could probably get away with simply sticking a "stack" out of the top, since most of the immersion heater was at the bottom of the can any way

I have some molds to make the mermite cans and the water/beverage cans.

Just show the stack coming out of the cans. Fill the can with colored quick set epoxy.

I am still trying to find some photos of the stove. I can picture them in my mind. I remember two fuel canisters, one on each bottom side and the generator/burner on top of the tube frame. The regulator on the front was connected to both fuel cannisters and it had a air pump to put air pressure into the tanks.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Great links! That helps a lot. Should be able to do something like that.

Thanks.

Tom
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
Hello Tom,
try this link:
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/welcom1.htm

Cheers
Harald
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 05:52 AM UTC
Tom:
PM me your email, I have the TM's for the Field Range & Immersion Heater. About 3 mb total.

BTW, as an Ordnance type, I must inform you that your field mess truck is an unofficial MWO and must be taken apart. Also you must RBI who, what, why, where, and when and all steps taken to correct the problem, prevent a re-occurnace, etc, thru the chain of command.
:-)

John
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom:
PM me your email, I have the TM's for the Field Range & Immersion Heater. About 3 mb total.

BTW, as an Ordnance type, I must inform you that your field mess truck is an unofficial MWO and must be taken apart. Also you must RBI who, what, why, where, and when and all steps taken to correct the problem, prevent a re-occurnace, etc, thru the chain of command.

John

Roger that, John! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom:

John

I was afraid of something like that! I've prepared the RBI and signed it. Tough part is going to be locating all the members of the chain of command for their indorsements. (Is triplicate OK?)

To help me, how far up the chain of command should it go? DivArtry? Division? Corps? USAREUR? SACEUR? As an FA type, I'm not sure what level of offense an illegal MWO is. (Perhaps we can designate it a "field expedient" and let it slide just this once??) Some of those guys are going to be hard to get a hold of.

I'll get it in the mail to you as soon as I get all the signatures.

Tom
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 06:42 AM UTC
Tom:

You & I were in Europe at the same time.

You know that you need an onion skin copy for each echelon above you & 2-3 to the destination. Obviously it would go to DCSLOG USAREUR, office symbol AEAGD, so original plus about 8 or 9 ....
:-) :-) :-)

After 35 years, I still remember that office symbol -- bane of my existance as Tech Supply Officer for the 122 Maintenance Battalion .... RBI this, RBI that, etc ... 10 S&P's of excess Class IX sent to a depot, one shipping tag comes loose & you'd think the Russkies had broken thru ...

Anyway, enjoy the TM's & start scrubbing those pots & pans -- your model will be inspected to Connelly standards ...

John
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:49 AM UTC
I forgot to tell you Tom, they still had that converted truck when I spent my time with half arty. I sure liked the convenience rather than dealing with the normal pure Murmite can outside method.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
John, thanks for the TMs, they came through perfectly. And Harald, thanks for the link. Now I know where I can go in the future for more reference info!

I hadn't thought about the Connelly Award, but now that you mention it, I think I'll enter. Shouldn't be too much competition in the 1/35th scale mess hall category!!!!! :-)

Tom

(For those who don't know, the Connelly is an annual competition for the best mess hall in the Army, with categories for various size units. It is quite challenging and a real honor to win.)
 _GOTOTOP