_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Desert Storm Humvee [in progress]
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Dolnoslaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hello everybody.

I'm building TOW Missile Carrier Humvee from Operation Desert Storm. Interior is nearly completed, but I have one problem. I don't know how wide must be this red and yellow stripes on TOW missiles.

Also I don't know on what color paint this grey baggage in rear (now this is sprayed with Tamiya Surface Primer).

Any help and comments will be very welcomed.

P. S.
I'm apologize for my poor english writing.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
Stirpes are about as wide as the mounts that they are sitting in, about 3mm in 1/35. One other note, if you are doing an ODS ('90-'91) HMMWV, the sleeping bags you have on the back, from the Tamiya set, are incorrect. The Goretex style wasn't issued till mid '90s.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:50 PM UTC
Here you go Tomek. I put these two articles together using my Technaical Manuals I have here in the shop. They should answer all your questions.

Ground TOW 2 Weapon System

TOW 2 Weapon System Part 2
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Good start. I might suggest using some kind of a filler or styrene sheets to cover up that hole on the bonnet closer to the exhaust stack.

Also the TOW Missle frame is missing a bar on top to stop the upper most TOW missle from rolling off the frame.

This looks like the Italeri kit?
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Thank you very much for your answers.

Quoted Text

One other note, if you are doing an ODS ('90-'91) HMMWV, the sleeping bags you have on the back, from the Tamiya set, are incorrect. The Goretex style wasn't issued till mid '90s.

I understand and thank you for correcting my mistake. And what about using folding beds, MRE cartons and binoculars from Tamiya Modern U.S. Military Equipment Set, as an ODS items?

Thank You Pete for your links. It will be very helpful.

Quoted Text

I might suggest using some kind of a filler or styrene sheets to cover up that hole on the bonnet closer to the exhaust stack.

This hole is an effect of my accident with hair-dryer.
Here is a better shot of this damage:

Of course I'll try to fix it.

Quoted Text

Also the TOW Missle frame is missing a bar on top to stop the upper most TOW missle from rolling off the frame.

It's because I must first add stripes to TOW missiles, then I glue bars.

Quoted Text

This looks like the Italeri kit?

Yes it's Italeri model No. 247 (named incorrect as M998 Hummer) but I also used sprue F from Academy kit No. 1363 (M966 TOW Missile Carrier).

I hope you understand what I writing.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
To more accurately portray a Desert Storm HMMWV, you should paint the interior in a forest green color. Back then, all our vehicles were basically NATO 3-color camouflaged and the exteriors were over painted sand once in country.

The canvas bags should be a semi gloss OD or forest green. Most of our canvas was made of a plastic-type canvas. Dust them up after painting them though.

I've always like the little Italeri HMMWVs. They were fun to work with and relatively cheap.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And what about using folding beds, MRE cartons and binoculars from Tamiya Modern U.S. Military Equipment Set, as an ODS items?

Cots and binos are fine. The MRE boxes are a post ODS design as well though. ODS MRE boxes were more flat and rectangular. The older ones can be found in the older Tamiya acessory set and through AM companies like Verlinden and Hudson and Allen.

Quoted Text

Don't know what you can do to fix it, but HMMWV hoods are made of fiberglass and don't crumple/bend when hit. They just shatter and splinter.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a better shot of this damage:

Wow what hair dryer is that? Does it fire explosive charges to have caused such a damage? :-) You might be better off trading other stuff for another hood from a fellow member here on the site.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
Thank you very much for your help.

Quoted Text

To more accurately portray a Desert Storm HMMWV, you should paint the interior in a forest green color.

If I left interior in a sand color, it will be a big mistake?

At first I was should ask on Armorama and then do the paint job.

Jeremy, I was in a hurry and I try to dry paint faster. I dry too long and I fry the hood. :-)
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
Can you tell me what is Federal Standard number of this OD and forest green colors, please? Or what Model Master or Humbrol paints can I use?
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:21 PM UTC
Here is an idea for you. I also try to dry my paint fast under certain circumstances. Particularly when I paint with gloss and dull coats. What I do is prior to starting the paint work, I turn my oven on and set it on "warm" or approximately 200 degrees Farenheit. then I paint the model on a metal stand or such. After painting is complete, I pick up the model carefully by the stand and place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes keeping my eye on it the whole time. Generally, the paint is thoroughly dry in this time, and baked on. Then I can handle the model again for doing other things ie. decals, weathering, etc. I made the mistake of using the hair dryer some years back as a kid too, so dont feel bad! Gotta make some mistakes to learn!
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hello again.

I want to present you how my build is going.
I finished interior and painted the driver with "chocolate chip".
With the help of styrene, putty, glass paper and quite a lot of time I fixed this unfortunate hood, as much as I could.

Here are couple of pics:

Please, let me know, what you think about my work

P.S.
Tanks for the tip Troubble27. Maybe one day I'll try your method.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Nice job on correcting the damaged hood. I hate to tell you, but the red stripe on your Tow missiles are supposed to be brown. the brown stripe indicates that this is ammunition which have a "rocket engine". The yellow stripe indicates "explosives". I "borrowed" this pic from Gino (HeavyArty). He has the right color on his missiles.

Erik
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Dear Tomek
Look good some weathering and pastel dust and Voila
seb
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Thanks for your comments.

Quoted Text

the red stripe on your Tow missiles are supposed to be brown

Oops.
From the photos, that I saw, I was thinking, that stripes are red. So, when I ask in my first post about yellow and red stripes, why anybody don't corrected me? Now everything is glued together and unfortunately I can't change colour to brown.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC
looks like a diorama in progress. the driver seems to be hurt. can't wait to see the finished project.
Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 04:19 PM UTC
You're right Liberator.
I've planning to put together this Humvee, Bradley that I' ve just started and some Dragon figures.
 _GOTOTOP