_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
lets try this again (T-55 model pics)
sapp
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:24 PM UTC

hope this works. gotta click on the pics to appreciate them. please give me pointers as this is my first armor model.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
I really like it, it really captures the "feel" of russian armor, and I love the paint chips on the turret.. However I think there are two things to consider. Firstly, I think your paint color is a little bit too "kakhi". Secondly, you may want to make the rust a little less red. Try adding some brown if you want to simulate lots of rust, and more orange for light sirface rust.HTH
sapp
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
awsome. thats the sort of advice i need.thanks
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
I think your color is actually fine...I looked at some other pics and it looks like a good match. Must just be the pictures that made me think it was kakhi...or the dust...
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 04:05 AM UTC
I have no critiques to give you about the model, but I´m no Russian armor expert so you might hear something later But I would like a bit more light in the pics and some better overview pics. Then it´s easier to say something. And yes, the paintchipping is marvelous, at least in the first pic, it looks like the paint have really been peeled away.
Cheers Andreas
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hi there,

A lovely build! Is this the Tamiya's kit? And what's the color you applied for the finish?

Cheers!
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:29 AM UTC
Man that's a great model. Please tell us how you achieved the flaky paint effect as per photo one!!

Cheers
Shane
sapp
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:21 PM UTC
hey guys, thanks for all the kind comments. it is the tamiya kit. pretty much box stock. i scratchbuilt a couple things that needed it, and used some of the verinden photo etch, but not much. the color, i just kind of mixed it by eye, but it was mostly tamiya buff, desert yellow, and kahki. and a heavy dusting with mig pigments. and as far as the chips, i used the old gunzi liquid mask flicked on with a toothbrush trick.
sapp
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:33 PM UTC
by the way i've entered her in the feb '06 model of the month comp. so please vote for her if you feel the model deservs it. she's a proud model and would very much like to win. and id much apreciate it if you felt inclined to vote for it.
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
The model looks good. A couple of suggestions. Color is awfully light. Typically a much darker green. You have not fitted the unditching beam, but left the mount the same. The look would be quite a bit different if fitted. Also typically the lights would be a black lense. Can be fitted either way but IR black lense is most commonly seen. Can't wait to see your next build and here is a website that might help.
http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/armored_vehicles/
sapp
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:11 PM UTC
awesome. this is the stuff i need. i believe i can still fix these things(other than the paint). this is why i think a model is never finished. always something you can do better. my second model will be a lot more accurate and the link is great thanks. i think i'll do another t-55.
 _GOTOTOP