_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri M-977 HEMTT
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Guys.
I got the Italeri M-977 HEMTT today, allmost for free. By the looks of the sprues it looks like a pretty decent kit. Beeing somewhat inexperienced in truck building I just wants to ask a few questions: How is the fit of this kit? Is there any "big" mistakes with it, and is there any big differences from this kit (early 90s version) to a OIF vehicle?

Erik
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hey Erik,
Nothing really wrong with the kit straight out of the box. Definately need to replace the wheels. Eduards photo set can enhance the kit extremly and Pro Arts has some very nice detail sets for it if you want to go that route.

And guess what, we have a couple of them out back, so I can take lots of photo's for ya if ya want.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:45 PM UTC
The Italeri kit is a disappointment because they cut a lot of corners in providing detail for this truck. The biggest gripe is the oversimplified chassis/frame - and you'll need to take care to align the parts properly.

There are nice aftermarket (albeit as expensive as the Italeri model itself) that will allow you to replace the tires, detail out the Cab and address the loading winch. You can purchase upgrade sets to go really hog-wild with the HEMTT and model an impressive miniature.

If you don't really care about all of that, you can model a decent looking representation with careful attention to basic construction technique.

Gunnie
badger66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Pete,

Are you in Austin?

Don
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And guess what, we have a couple of them out back...

Thanks guys. I knew I could thrust you on this one. I have allready started to search for AM parts. Pete: Since Jim mentioned the simplified frame, some detailed pics of the vehicle would be very appriciated. No hurry though.

Erik
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
Yup, Camp Mabry at the CSMS#2 shop!
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:14 PM UTC
I'm going to echo what was said above. The kit all in all isn't bad. The weakest point, IMHO, are the tires. They look kinda of cheesy once the kit is all built up. The other thing is the alignment of the chasis. It was somewhat tricky with my kit as one of the pieces that runs lengthwise was warped. With eight tires, everything needs to be dead on if they're all going to touch the ground.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
The cargo bed also needs to be lined with a thin sheet of styrene on the floor. The molding boo-boo there is sooo obvious. Putting a load in the back will cover it though.
The Eduard etch frets and ProArt stuff do come in handy to liven it up.

And the wheel...oh lord the wheels. Yes, they gotta go.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC
Yes, the tires are worthless. Be sure to replace them. The chassis is oversimplified as well, as pointed out earlier, but I suppose once you have the frame on it and unless you are depicting it turned over, most people could live with it.

I am adding some of the more obvious hoses and wires to dress mine up a little.

Beware that with the Eduard sets that there is a lot of removing of plastic and replacement with Eduard parts to get the final look. Basically, what this means is that the kit has the detail there, but it is usually soft and not sharp. The Eduard offerings provide much sharper detail.

The Pro Art offerings make life a little simpler (but more expensive) since most of what they provide are complete replacements for the kit parts, with the sharper detail already added on. Thus, in many ways, if you buy the Eduard and Pro Art kits you are paying for the same thing.

If you plan on going with the kit interior, I would leave the doors closed. Again, the general stuff is there, but it is not that good, especially the seats and the inside of the doors.

There are some differences for an OIF vehicle if you are doing a 3rd ID truck in the initial invasion. They put a few little add-ons for stowage, and of course there is the marking system that the 3rd ID had. I am pretty sure the Marines had them too, but I do not know about their markings or if they had any add-ons. If you are going to do an OIF2 truck they won't necessarily be the same either since many are National Guard units and such. Lots of units have rotated in and out in the past three years.

Finally, there are LOTS of little differences between trucks even in the same units. Some have winches, and some don't. There have been a number of upgrades over the years. Another example is the seat belt configuration. That has changed over the years to a three point harness.

Bob
badger66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Pete

Not too far from you im at Hood. you hang out at kings?
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
Erik,

Evendo I'm currently building the M-978 in IDF service,
The kit's are almost simular.
see my progres here http://idf-armour-group.org/groupforum/index.php?showtopic=517

But I'm sorry to say, The basic kit is crapy and if you want to make it look realistic (especially the interior and the frame) you need to do alot of rework, or else it will look like a toy

As stated the eduard set is great but you'll need to be creative with some of there parts.

The best research around is the prime portal webside and some tech instructions from the net.

If you are patient you could follow my build on the above link

cheers,
80a2
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But I'm sorry to say, The basic kit is crapy and if you want to make it look realistic (especially the interior and the frame) you need to do alot of rework, or else it will look like a toy

He He, thanks mate. I'm allways up for a challenge, so I'm looking forward to start this one.

Erik
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 01:14 AM UTC
good to hear!
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 09:00 AM UTC
"There are some differences for an OIF vehicle if you are doing a 3rd ID truck in the initial invasion. They put a few little add-ons for stowage, and of course there is the marking system that the 3rd ID had. I am pretty sure the Marines had them too, but I do not know about their markings or if they had any add-ons."

The Marines use the Mk-48 LVS which is an articulated version of the HEMTT

LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
I hadn't seen that articulated truck before - it looks like a Gama Goat writ large!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Cool. I built the Mk-48 LVS tractor a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of redoing it since I had made some mistakes as well as replacing the tires. Here's mine:

_GOTOTOP