_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Gun Tractor
Wheezy
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi guys,

What are your opinions of the Tamiya Quad gun tractor kit? Is it decent from the box, or does it need AM? How about Italeri? Also, what is a good price for each today?

Thanks,

Daniel
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC
I bought the Italeri one about 18 years ago. I thought it was a nice kit. I know Eduard does a "Zoom set" (small PE set with just some grill parts) that could dress it up for little money.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:53 AM UTC
Both are descent kits. They should go for about $20 each on todays market.

As to AM, I personally don't think any kit needs AM stuff. You can improve them yourself with some sheet styrene, lead foil, nuts and bolts, etc. Get back to some good ole scratchbuilding and old style model building. Just my opinion. I can't justify spending more on AM and PE stuff than I did for the kit. Doesn't work for me.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 06:59 AM UTC
The Italeri kit is very nicely detailed. You can dress it up as I do with PE mesh grills etc but OOB it is still a nice kit. This kit is now OOP

The Tamiya Quad is very inaccurate in a lot of details but still builds to be a fair representative of that type of GT. In size it is more 1/32 then 1/35 scale.

Cheers
Cliff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 07:22 AM UTC
Started doing some research on it as i have that kit in my stash. Looks pretty simple to build to be honest based on the instructions.

Im hoping to build a NZ version of it so i will be creating NZ decals and sticking it on the Tamiya Quad tractor.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im hoping to build a NZ version of it so i will be creating NZ decals and sticking it on the Tamiya Quad tractor.

Just thought I would mention Jeremy that the Tamiya kit is a Ford and the photo you show of the NZ gun Portee is a Chevrolet.

Not impossible to change from a Ford to the Chev but difficult. I have not seen a photo of a Ford done to this body style either as I am pretty sure that NZ only used Chev chassis for it.

Cheers
Cliff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just thought I would mention Jeremy that the Tamiya kit is a Ford and the photo you show of the NZ gun Portee is a Chevrolet.

Hi Cliff,

You raise a good point as the different in chasis was quite obvious between the one in the photo and the Tamiya kit. I had asked the historians that were at this exhibition and was informed that NZ troops did operate using the Ford chasis as well. I actually didnt quite believe him until i searched the internet and found some images of them. That will teach me to be a smart ar**.

I got this image from this site

I still took walk around photos of the Chevy on display to get a feel for how the decals would be applied.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:56 AM UTC
Jeremy I know the NZ army used the Ford version of the QUAD gun tractor as shown in your second photo but they did NOT have Ford versions of the gun portee in your first photo as they were all built on Chevrolet Chassis.

Also the site the Quad photo came from does not name it as a Ford it just states it is a NZ CMP Quad in Korea. From the angle that photo is taken it could be either a Ford or a Chev version. It may also be a #11 cab version as well which is the earlier model to the Tamiya kit.

Cheers
Cliff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeremy I know the NZ army used the Ford version of the QUAD gun tractor as shown in your second photo but they did NOT have Ford versions of the gun portee in your first photo as they were all built on Chevrolet Chassis.

Ah i think i see where it was misunderstood. Apologies as i should have made it clearer. I wasnt trying to create a Ford version of the Anti Tank Portee based on the first photo i placed. I was using the first photo mainly for decal references hence why i mentioned earlier that i would stick it on the Tamiya Quad tractor as according to the historian i was talking to, the RNZA did use the Quad tractors. Who am i to argue with historians?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

as according to the historian i was talking to, the RNZA did use the Quad tractors.

Ah, yes, but which Quads? Which which cabs?

The Tamiya kit is a No 12 cab Ford Quad.

The Itaeri kit is a later No 13 cab Chev Quad.

There was an earlier vehicle with the No 11 cab, also called a Quad.

Ford and Chev both made each cab style.

Just to confuse things further, there is the Brit built Morris Quad (grandfather of the CMPs) and the Guy Quad Ant.

Now, which Quad was that??? :-)

Paul
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, which Quad was that???

If i was as pedantic as that, i would have just scratch built the entire kit.

Tamiya's kit would do fine. As im easily contented, i can go on living with the odd inaccuracies. :-)
 _GOTOTOP