_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Needed..M32 tweek list
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
O.k Gentlemen.My M32 arrived and I need to knw whar needs to be done to it to bring it up to snuff.Things like replacement suspension units,hull,PE etc.I want to also know which types of tracks could have been used on this recovery vehicle.Rubber block treads are sooo boring.Thanks Guys
(:-)
Hellcat
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
I hope this helps you :

Allied WWII AFV Discussion
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC
I'm not an expert, but I have read/heard that the "large hatch" hull represented by the Italeri kit is the improper hull for an accurate M32. I believe that the experts say only the "small hatch" hull that comes with the rare DML M4A1 75mm Early is accurate for that type of vehicle. There also may be a resin upper hull from someone.

Again, I don't know the accuracy of this information. I am only passing on what I've heard. I'd build it without much concern of the hull type. Eduard makes a PE set, I may have one but I'm saving it for when I do my M32. I think I saw a photo of an M32 with 3-bar cleated tracks, but I'm not sure. I did score a set of DML ones to use with my kit too, mainly because I dislike the Italeri M4 tracks. They are akin to a large stiff Hersey bar.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
The Tank Workshop 004 M4A1 Early upper hull is an accurate representation for the small hatch hull.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
Jackhammer, I've got the same thing in mind for the future. From your post you already know the major issues. I have a Tank Workshop hull for mine. Looks like the Italeri lower hull will need some shaving for it to fit. And we'll go through lots of superglue attaching all that green plastic to the small-hatch resin hull. AFV Interiors web site has some neat pictures of this thing; check it out. You mentioned suspension; this thing needs straight-out return roller brackets and not upswept ones as provided. Armored Brigade, AFV Club, or Academy are possibilities. I'll be using AFV Club, but either kit, DML, or Academy wheels. The AFV ones are too big.

I'm definitely insane, because I'm seriously contemplating robbing my Academy M12 for the front driver's compartment pieces and grafting those in. Looks like this stuff should be visible through the fixed turret even if fronnt hatches aren't open. And I'll probably spring for photoetch too. The turret itself has the early cable channel molded in; later ones were wider. This can be done from scratch if you wish. Gannon's Israeli Sherman book has some decent photos of this that can guide you if making this alteration interests you.

Tracks could be anything, but straight rubber block and rubber chevron seem to be very common. If you don't like the kit tracks, I recommend resin by Accurate Armour.

My project is well out there, after my Firefly VC/Panzer IV dio, my M10 dio, and my two other Firefly stand-alone projects. But I'm thinking of using up some spare Tamiya stuff, like a late M4A3 upper hull and turret. The M32 is on a road/trail upslope, and the unfortunate Sherman is mired so deep in the muck that nothing can be seen of lower hull or suspension. The M32 crew stands around looking at the job at hand wondering how they'll pull this off (literally).... (:-)

Greg
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
I can't speak for US versions,but Israeli versions are built on M4a1early and M4 hulls. M4a1s are seen with the same configuration as WW2 variants(some with duckbill track) others were were modified along with the M50/51 series. with these modifications also came smoke dischargers,and strenthening of the boomand the addition of some stowage including welding gear mounted externally.

If anyone has clear shots of the rear cable hatch, fom the interior and exterior, please let me know.

Josh Weingarten
aKA shiryon
 _GOTOTOP