_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tank tracks-During or After Construction?
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 - 09:51 AM UTC
When do you put your tracks on your tank on ??? During the build before you finish (still not painted though) ?? Or do you put on after you have painted tank and track separately ???
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC

First I glue the links to their final form but separately from the hull and wheels, then I paint'em all, then glue together.

The above pic is showing my Revell 1/72 Nashorn tracks. This method can be applied with plastic tracks easily, but I don't recommend painting vinyl/DS/metal tracks this way, as paint will come off as the stuff bends.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC
I usually put on the model the suspensions/sprocket/road wheels/idler without glueing them. Then I build the tracks around the whole system and glue them. When the glue has cured I remove everything and paint all the items separately...
Ciao
Fabio
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
Depends.....

I always paint them before mounting them. Installation is another matter. If the tank has skirts that would prevent installing the tracks last, I paint the lower hull and wheels, mount the tracks, then install skirts followed by painting the upper hull.

Dunno how anyone paints tracks mounted... love to see some detailed steps photographed though.

Martyn
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 11:52 PM UTC
I usually get at least the hull put together, usually the whole tank spray my base color. I prepaint my tacks their base color assemble them and put them on tank while they are still flexible. Add side fenders camo paint (If more than one color) and fine tune paint tracks. Then weather, future, decal, flat, and weather some more.
 _GOTOTOP