Adding grass
Anti
Visit this Community
Harju, Estonia
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hi

I am making my first diorama and everything is going fine.
But i havent figured out with what to make the grass to stick to the base.

So i was wondering could you give me some pointers how you do it and what you use.

eg: I spit on the back of every grass leaf and stick it to the base.

Thanking you all in advance!
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hi Anti,
It's pretty simple, I'm not sure what it's called where you live, but use Elmer's glue. Also called pva or white glue. You can mix it with water-about fifty percent-and spray it on or use a wide flat brush. Then apply your grass. Or, you could spit on every piece, but that could be very time consuming!
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hi as in the previous post in response I would totally agree, I just want to assist in assisting you to find the product. You may find it in a local store that sells glues for carpentry as it is often used to offer extra strength to nailed or screwed joints in furniture. Maybe you know somebody who is a carpenter. It is white in colour and drys to an almost clear state and is water soluable. Hope this helps further. Paint the surface earth colour before applying your chosen grass.
I use the paint on method and then sprinkle the static grass on quite thickly and once dry tap off the excess onto paper to return to your container for later. You can then gently spray a thinned layer over the top and fill any open bits with more grass.

John
Anti
Visit this Community
Harju, Estonia
KitMaker: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips.
I will try them out and maybe if i feel the dio is lookin good enough i will post some pics too.
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
To continue....

After applying the dilluted PVA on the surface...sprinkle the static grass you are using. After sprinkling, slightly blow on the static grass to make it stand....then let it dry

Hope this helps
 _GOTOTOP