Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Going to try a small scale dio...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
I want to try a 1/72 scale diorama "what if" setting using M1s and T-62s. In the "what if" the Vietnam war lead to a non-nuclear WW3 in SEA. I'm thinking of ways to back date M1s to look like they were in action in the mid 70s. Mainly no side skirts or turret boxes to resemble updated MBT-70s. I found a couple of old Matchbox AH-1G Cobras to add to the diorama and I think I have the early Matchbox A-10 somewhere in my stash.

Any additional ideas on the M1s? Sandbags, wire mesh for RPG protection? I also grabbed the Ace BMP and have a couple of the old Esci M113s and M901s. I thought it might be a fun diorama.
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
Nice idea sabot should be real interest5ing
Brandenus Pimpus
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:48 AM UTC
I don't think sand bags would be such a great idea... but rolls of mesh would be great !
Maybe you can even place a few branches in the mesh, like it was one in WWII.
What colors will your T62s be in ? soviet, chinese, other ?
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
That sounds really cool. Sorta like Turledove's alternate history books. Like what if the South won the war. It goes all the way to WW1 or what if the Nazi's had never surrendered.

Hey that's an idea, Leopard 2's painted in German Ambush pattern versus M1's or Challengers in the States?

Who knows what types of tanks Germany would have produced if things kept going or what the States and Britian would have come up with. All the really big tech development happens during wars. Ever notice that?
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC
Yeah, I thought the sand bag thing would be too hard to work to make it look good. I was thinking the mesh around the turret and gunner's shield around the .50 cal.

I would do the T-62s much like the T-54/55s were done by the NVA at the end of the Vietnam war. Basic green with some white markings. Maybe some field applied dark green stripes to break up the pattern. It depends on how much the Italeri T-62s will run me versus the small scale T-55s I've seen at the shop (Eastern Express?). I was disappointed in the quality of an ACE BMP-1 kSH that I just paid $7.50 for.

I did find Airfix Sheridans in my stash, they may make an appearance if the dio ever gets off the ground.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:37 AM UTC
Put some personal markings on the M-1s Sabot.Like a name for the tank or something.Also you may want to load it up with some additional equipment maybe,rifles,ammo,etc.?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:42 AM UTC
From what I've read, it's better to stay clear from ACE models.
PST and European Express models are suposed to be better. I'll be receiving models from these three companies next week so I'll know better then !
The italeri T62 is supposed to be a good model.

Given all the armor you're considering placing on that dio, I figure it's gonna be a rather large project !
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I've read, it's better to stay clear from ACE models.
PST and European Express models are suposed to be better. I'll be receiving models from these three companies next week so I'll know better then !

Yes, it cost me $8 to find out for myself.

Quoted Text

The italeri T62 is supposed to be a good model.

I have it, it is a reissue of the old Esci T-62 I bought many years ago while in Germany, although that one was the T-62M with side skirts. Basically the same kit. I did get the old Eduard PE set for it. It adds a plate missing from the rear panel, several fittings and the exhaust port. Nice PE set.

Quoted Text

Given all the armor you're considering placing on that dio, I figure it's gonna be a rather large project !

I've just listed some of the kits I have available to play with, not necessarily all the kits going into the dio. Basically brain storming now.
 _GOTOTOP