_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Has There Ever Been....
goldwizard
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:06 AM UTC
Just wondering, has there ever been a campaign where everyone contributed to a large diorama? I thought that it would be a good idea even though it would require a certain amount of trust and planning. Im not suggesting that i could ever organize this, I just wanted to know if its been done before and whether something like this will ever be atempted?

Joe
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
I can remember there were plans for such a diorama some time ago. It was about a d-day diorama iirc. Never realised as far as I know though.

Martin
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
although amazingly impossible to organize, a really cool idea.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Well Joe the old saying is 'nothing ventured nothing gained'.

John
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hey there!

I'd have to agree with William, VERY difficult to orchestrate, and with John, nothing ventured.......BUT, wouldn't that be the sh t for something like this to be brought forth?!?!?!?!?! I'd enjoy participating......WOW!

So, when are you going to start this? Hehehhehe.

Mike (++) (++)
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
Just an idea. Try and get a museum to have it as a permanate display. Naturally, you'd need someone to have control over quality control. Someone's going to have to swallow their pride if they don't fit the standard. I think a color chart of paint should be provided to keep things basically the same. Ie. What brand paint and color is going to be used for all tanks, ducks, jeeps, uniforms, etc. You'd need to keep a standard. It can naturally varry as to shading of the basic color, sun fade etc., but it should start off with the same standard.

A list would have to be formulated of just who is going to do what piece. A master drawing should be done as to where pieces could be assigned and that person would be held responsible for procuring and building his contribution. I think a vote should be taken as to who would be the person incharge of constructing the base. A vote should be taken as to what museum the volunteers come up with the piece goes to. Who knows, maybe they'll pay for the models and the labor would be ours to donate? Therefore, the drawing shoud be accurate as to the size. Once the piece is done, in my opinion, its no longer yours incase the piece is required to be sunk in resin, ie. a shore landing type of thing. A plaque with the contributors names should accompany the piece at the museum. A note could be made as to how people from around the world met on the armorama forum and partook in global effort.

This could be done. But I'm not going to run it.
I'm not healthy enough to take responsibility.

I hope this helped.
Lucky
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:22 AM UTC
It would work with a few friends or a club where the builders can meet regularly and get everything together. But to have people from all over working on it would be a logistical nightmare, and who knows if everything could make it to one place in one piece. But if someone wants to attempt it, Good Luck!
goldwizard
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
After reading EasyOff's post i guess it would be almost impossible. Like i said i never wanted to suggest that i could organize something like this (im still a Noob!) it was just a thought really.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Joe, search, " farfetched idea ", my original post ...... good read, but that's why I titled it " farfetched idea " interesting to say the least .... a logistical nightmare.
Thats the deal Martinn is refering to .
Cheyenne
John-B
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 05:47 PM UTC
Joe

Been there – Done that!

Sorry to disappoint you all but there was a joint effort by the London Group MAFVA which completed a large D-Day Diorama, 8 feet by 4 feet in size, for the Imperial War Museum at Duxford (UK). The result, which took 18 months planning and a further 9 months to build, was handed over in August 2005. The Diorama is currently on display in the Land Warfare Hall for all to see. Predominantly allied, the Diorama represents post D-Day Normandy France in July 1944.

Although the bulk of the work was done by ‘the few’ many other people were involved and contributed to the project. The true cost would have been several thousand pounds to produce commercially. Many man hours were involved and it should be recorded here that without the help of the MAFVA Membership, numerous Traders, and the IWM authorities (who provided the casing): the project would have never have come to fruition.

By arrangement we still visit the diorama to undertake repairs and make little additions – the latest will be model ‘cow pats’! An article to publicise the project should appear in the commercial modelling press in the very near future.

John Baumann, MAFVA Information Officer
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Model Railroad clubs do this quite a bit s well. Everyone builds a module or two. As long as the track location in relation to the front edge remains constant, members can work on their section at home and be reasonably certain everything will come together. The track doesn't come all the way to the end either, modules are joined by small sections of flex track, to allow for small errors in measurement.
I think this could work on a military diorama if it were a city scene, where everyone does a block. Or possibly if there were natural lines of delineation such as a river bank or road edge. Or hedgerows, or whatever...
 _GOTOTOP