Hosted by Darren Baker
1/48 Cat at Nationals
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 06:06 AM UTC
I've spoken with a number of people about getting 1/48 scale armor in it's own category at the IPMS Nationals show. As of right now there is no 1/48 scale category. I have been informed that if we get enough 1/48 scale armor entered in the show they will consider spliting it out and that will go a long way to getting our own Category. Are any of you planning on going to the Nationals this year? ANd if so bring your 1/48 scale armor and lets show the 1/35 scale community that we exist and can also compete. I'm tierd of playing second fiddle to all the 1/35 scale folks that say 1/48 scale isn't a real scale and the fad won't last. Anyone else of this settiment?
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:06 AM UTC
It speaks of the arrogance and the entrenched belief by most of old guard in IPMS armour modelling circles, and stands as one of the reason why I am not affiliated with this group.

Shameful....
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
I could care less about "showing up" 1/35th scale. What does get me boiling is because thier are not enough "1/48" scale that they deem it necessary to combine them with the 1/72nd armor. That, in itself is not fair, keep them separate from each other. In the shows I have seen or participated in, 1/48 scale has thrashed 1/72nd because more detail can be put on I would assume.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
Yes, IPMS/USA is a bit conservative in adding new categories to the National contest, but you must consider the National event is planned some two years out and flyers and finalized no less than a year from the event. KC was announced at the 04 convenbtion in Phoenix. How much 1/48 armor was available at that point? I was there and don't recall a single piece though there was a plethora of excellent 1/72, including Best of Show, an Abrams.

I hit and judge at most of the New England contests each year and there was quite a small amount of 1/48 last fall.

If there is a significant interest, (by attendance and entry numbers) in 1/48 armor, there would certainly be a split. The National is designed that way. If there is consistent interest in the scale, there would just as surely be a regular class/classes for that scale.

I was also at AMPS East and there was no class for 1/48 either, just 1/35 and 1/72.

But people who build that scale have to attend to be recognized. If you don't enter them, there will never be a class. Nationally, regionally or locally. My club would run its local contest no differently. If hte entries aren't there, there won't be a class for them down the road.

Running any contest is like a business. The one guy who builds tandem trailers or police cars only wants a class for those because they differ from any other commercial truck or non-military vehicle. But he's the only guy who builds them. Does it make sense to have a class just for him?

If there are only a half dozen 1/48 scale armor kits at the Nats from two guys, does it make sense to have a separate clss for them? Not for a second.

If there are a dozen guys showing up consistently with a boatload of 1/48 scale armor, you can bet there will be planned (kind of oxymoronic) splits and a separate class if the interest continues, both from builders and manufacturers.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
IPMS is very inflexible, not just in the states but here in Canada too. Considering all the 35th scale categories in most of the large shows, why not include one additonal category,.... 48th? As far as the majority of local shows here in Southern Ontario (four shows I attended in 2005), we saw not one but two categories for 48th scale armour!

What does it state about this group, if they can't adjust to the trends,.... really now,.... two years to work out the categories,.... time to shake out the cobwebs and infuse some new blood!

What really upsets me, is the arrogance that if it isn't 35th scale, it's not worthy.
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:24 AM UTC
Every contest I've been to has 1/48 lumped together with 1/35. To most people when looking at the size difference they think 1/48 looks like toys. That is why I've been adimat about getting the cat added. We need to show them that people are building it and the market for these have grown. If we have enough people enter at Nationals then Regional shows will follow since they try to emulate the National Show. And eventually smaller shows will pick it up as well.
I'm also looking forward to AMPS this year from what I've heard there should be a decent 1/48 turnout for this show.
 _GOTOTOP