_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
W.T.T.Nam, Pibber
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC
Here is my entry for the Welcome to the Nam campaign. Tamiya's River Patrol Boat "Pibber".
An absolute joy to build as the kit just falls together, a definite recommended kit.
Decided to make a dock scene, with the crew relaxing before having to load up the supplies. Water was made using Plexiglas's, which was a cheaper alternative to resin water products as it is quite a large area to fill. The dock was made with lolly sticks and balsa rods. A bit of stowage and ration boxes were added to the dockside.
Pretty happy with the finished piece, apart from the figures which i have yet to master painting :-) .
Thanks for looking, Andy (++)

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
I like it. I see you even have nails on the deck planks!! I would suggest more crew stuff inside the pibber. Some items might be pictures and posters on the walls.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:53 PM UTC
Andy, that's a very nice diorama! I like the muddy red water.
How did you place the boat in the water if you used Plexiglass? Did you cut a hole in it for the boat?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
Looks nice. did you add any additional detail?
What did you use for references?

I built one 10+yrs ago and it did well in local shows, but I'd love to do another and really go to town on it.

Mike
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would suggest more crew stuff inside the pibber. Some items might be pictures and posters on the walls.

Hi Alan, i did think of adding more gear, but there is a serious lack of Vietnam era stowage in my stash. Every time i looked at buying something for it i bought an aircraft instead, so I've now banned myself from buying any more models for now LOL.

Quoted Text

How did you place the boat in the water if you used Plexiglas's? Did you cut a hole in it for the boat?

Hi Paul, Yes, i cut the shape out with a scalpel, then watched the stern sink as the hole was slightly to big :-) . Threw some filler in and now it sits at the right height, but there is still a small gap at the back.

Quoted Text

Looks nice. did you add any additional detail?
What did you use for references?

Hi Mike, The kit is basically OOB except for the ropes. All the references i used was off the net. I just put in Brown water navy, Pibber and patrol boats into Google search engine.
Thanks everyone for your kind comments, Andy (++)
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi Andy,

What a well thought out idea put to life through a model!
Using plexiglass is a great idea, I guess you put some gloss medium jell on it for waves? Added some brown coloring and "Instant water"
I don't remember what magazine but I once saw an article using plexiglass as water for a submarine in its dock pen.
Anyway great idea and workmanship.

Brian
betheyn
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy,

What a well thought out idea put to life through a model!
Using plexiglass is a great idea, I guess you put some gloss medium jell on it for waves? Added some brown coloring and "Instant water"
I don't remember what magazine but I once saw an article using plexiglass as water for a submarine in its dock pen.
Anyway great idea and workmanship.

Brian

Thanks Brian, the waves were created by putting dabs of silicone sealant on it and then making them into waves. I then drybrushed white over the top. The gloss effect is the natural sheen of the glass. I sprayed the brown underneath so i wouldn't lose the gloss effect and create a bit of depth.
I see plexiglass used for water somewhere, but for the life of me i can't remember where .
Andy (++)
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
Looking good !
Love the yellow stenciling on the oil / fuel drums.
As your a fellow Andy I have a heap of stowage type items that would suit PM me your address and I'll mail some over.
Cheers,
Andy.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:05 AM UTC
Nice looking dio Andy. Love how the color and weathering came out, and the little details. My favorite figure is the one in the boat leaning with the headband and bottle.
 _GOTOTOP