_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Casting Numbers ... help
Trogley
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 12:59 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new at this and building the Italeri M4A176 as an Operation Cobra vehicle. Yes, yes, I know that kit is past its prime but I'm doin it for sentimental reasons. I am updating it as I go along and would like to add casting numbers to the turret sides, top, mantlet and transmission cover. The problem is that I have no idea what numbers would be appropriate. I have several images of casting numbers in each location but I have no way of knowing whether they are appropriate for the period I am trying to depict.

In the heat of the moment last night I cemented the number "205" on each side of the turret, with a "2" below it. The numbering looks right when matched to a series of images I have but then I realised the creature in the images has a muzzle brake on the barrel of the 76 and other features indicative of period later than July/August 44.

Do any of you have any thoughts on the suitabiltiy of the number I put on the turret? Is there reference material (book, website etc) which goes into some detail on casting numbers?

Thanks for the help, Mario.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 01:36 PM UTC
Gday Mario and first welcome...
No harm in building the Italeri kit. Must be a reason for it lasting all these years!!
I think the fact that you are including casting numbers would mean that you are taking care in research. That aid though, you MAY find it hard to get exacting number info, but I hope to be proven wrong (it would help me also!!)
I know there was a discussion here in the forums about the new Dragon kit and some of the Sherman fans lent their expertise with pics of the mantlet casting numbers at least... Maybe try a site search with
Dragon M4A1 76mm Op. Cobra as keywords...
The most important things in my opinion would be to create a roughened cast hull surface, and to reshape the base of the 76mm gun tube... I think usarmymodels.com has a run down on tweaks for this kit among others...
Cheers and good luck
Brad
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the heat of the moment last night I cemented the number "205" on each side of the turret, with a "2" below it. The numbering looks right when matched to a series of images I have but then I realised the creature in the images has a muzzle brake on the barrel of the 76 and other features indicative of period later than July/August 44.

That should be fine for an early M4A1(76). It has to have two circular hatches though, and ought to have the third antenna port on the left front of the turret. I have an overhead picture of turret S/N 270, which would be a good guide. It has an unthreaded gun. Additional cast marks on the turret top are

D82081[u]

which is on the top center of the roof. It reads from the front and the top of the second line is about even with the raised lip around the hatches, the 2 is in the triangular area and is aligned with the "0". The [u] is the symbol of Union Steel Castings and is a U on a keystone. There also appears to be a 270 on the sloped part of the roof, above and just a little left of center.

For a site, all I can recommend is

http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104/foundry.htm

It's a little out of date but a good start.

KL
Trogley
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

Thanks for your suggestion to search the forum thread. Will do.

So far I have recreated a subdued cast surface, I am replacing the barrel with an untreaded barrel, the aerial with a US Army version, opening up the periscopes, replacing the tools with resin aftermarket, the suspension and the godawful tracks with AFV Club. I am sure I will find more to do and this piece is going into a bocage busting diorama so timespan will be measured in months.

All good fun though! I appreciate your help, mate. Cheers, Mario
Trogley
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:23 PM UTC
Hi there Kurt,

Many thanks for your help. It's a relief that someone else thinks "205", "2" is ok. And yeah, the hatches are circular and the gun in untreaded, and, if the untenna port on the left hand front on the turret is what I think it is, it's there. I believe this was later replaced with an additional periscope.

I'll chase the link you gave me too. It's those foundry symbols that are now causing me a headache! How in heaven's hymns am I to duplicate them? Sometimes I agree with my long suffering better half ... I need to chill out a bit.

Thanks Mate,

May your armour always be stronger than the other guy's shot!

Mario
 _GOTOTOP