_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer Gray
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
Greetings Everyone,

Group newby here, my first question:

Panzer gray, what color is it? In war movies and at re-enactments it appears to be a blue-tinted dark gray. I have the Tamiya, Polly Scale, various Testors, and Floquil, all seem slightly different, none seem blu-esque.

I know that lest one of you worked at AG Farb back then, or at a credible museum with UV-shielded artifacts, the 'what is the real color of' is very subjective.

I look forward to your input. Thank you all for any wisdom you will share.

All the best,

Fred
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
I use mostly testor models master II panzergrey its mixed from the old german paint chip, but i also use tamiya, its about the same just flat..testors is semigloss.shade changes with type of paint, just look at olive brab gloss on the cars is darker than the flat on the tanks. the deciding factor for me is what is my "wash" or weather going to be done in.
oil wash=acrylic base
acrylic wash=oil base
see simple math, but my best advice is use what your comfortable with...happy modeling

stug
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
JPTRR
Welcome to Armorama!

Part of the problem with Panzer Grey is the fact that "early war" (193? - 1940) a very dark grey was used. Later on panzer grey became the norm. If you find Photos of panzer I, II, or III from the invation of Poland they almost look black. Testors has this color as Schwartz Grau (Dark or Black Grey). I hope this helps.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Rick , welcome to ArmoramA.
One of the leading researcher's on german armor ......Tom Jentz gives some
good reference to this:
"At the start of the War, all Panzers were painted in a two-tone scheme of Dunklegrau (dark grey) and Dunklebraun (dark brown). Dunklegrau RAL 46 (later renumbered RAL 7021) was the base coat. Irregularly shaped patches of Dunklebraun RAL 45 (later renumbered RAL 7017) were to be spray painted onto 1/3rd of the surface.

In June 1940, a general order was issued to stop applying patches of Dunklebraun and only use Dunklegrau RAL 46 for the entire surface."

Like Tiger101 states Testors Model Master Schwarzgrau '39-'43 ( #2094 ) is a close bet.
However, it wouldn't hurt to use another brand, because as the same goes for uniforms, .......................there is no one perfect color !!!!!! Line up a handful of tanks from W.W.II of the same color and you will notice that not one is alike .......the shades vary.
This is because of color fading that is brought on by ......sunlight, wind, rain, sand, dust, etc. etc. and even battlefield engagements. So like I always recommend to other modelers when it comes to painting W.W.II tanks & uniforms CLOSE ENOUGH IS GOOD ENOUGH. Beware that in 1943 the order was passed to change from Dunkelgrau ( dark-grey ) over to Dunkelgelb ( dark-yellow ).
Let us know if you have anymore question's and enjoy the forum !

- ralph
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
Welcome JPTRR
Brandneus Pimpus
 _GOTOTOP