_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
ww1 vehicles
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
Where can I find ww1 vehicles (german,british,u.s.a.) and also figures to go with them.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 06:49 AM UTC
Whiterook:

A quick look in the Squadron catalogue shows some of the following Company's, "Emhar" in 1/72 scale, "Socrate" for the St Chammond, "Airfix" in 1/72 scale, "RPM" has some 1/35th, and "Mirage".

Good hunting!!

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 08:07 AM UTC
Tauro also makes the German A7V and an Italian Fiat 3000 copy of the Ft-17. Emhar is the only game in town for the giant Mark IV "Male" and "Female". They also do a couple of WW1 British tanks like the Whippet and Tadpole. RPM does a nice Ft-17 tank in various boxing including USA and German markings (#35060, 35061, 35062). Each boxing may vary in armament (cannon vs. machine gun) and markings (French, German USA).
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 08:13 AM UTC
Emhar's 1/35th stuff isn't too bad. The Whippet is a nice kit with no real probs, the Mk1 Male needs a bit of work with some parts that don't quite fit, and the Female is ok except for the gun mounts in the sponsons which are simplified and don't fit all that well. The tracks are fairly simple in detail and are in several parts each, so you have a few joins you have to try to hide - this is made worse by the type of vinyl which does not glue easily.
The Whippet is about the easiest to build, but they all make nice models with a bit of care.

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
Scale Link from the UK has 1/35th scale stuff.....armoured cars and trucks and stuff....and loads of figures from WWI.
M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 01:50 PM UTC
No, no, no Sabot!!!!! Are you trying to drive whiterook mad by telling him about the Tauro A7V. I don't think I've ever heard anyone getting past the undercarrage and tracks on that thing. I've talked with a few real good armor modelers who basically said that once they got to trying to build the bogee system they gave it up.
Eric
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, no, no Sabot!!!!! Are you trying to drive whiterook mad by telling him about the Tauro A7V. I don't think I've ever heard anyone getting past the undercarrage and tracks on that thing. I've talked with a few real good armor modelers who basically said that once they got to trying to build the bogee system they gave it up.
Eric

hey dude, if you are afraid of the old tauro kit keep it to yourselfi for one am trying to get my hands on one to go with my MK4's. i feel that if you keep at a kit you eventually end up with a gem on your desk. i think Whiterock can decide for himself if he's ready to tackle a bear or not. White rock good luck with your search, i'm still looking for the WW1 stuff myself, if you stick with it thought you'll have a nice collection, and btw i was actually impressed with the old EHMAR kits good luck stug
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 01:42 AM UTC
Wimp
I bought and started one in Germany. Never got past the single link tracks with little tiny pins. Many parts were lost in my move back to and through the states and I found one on eBay for $10 a few years ago. Haven't gotten any farther with the kit. On the plus side, there is now a build up review of the tank from the old Military Modeler magazine. It suggests to just build the bottom run of tracks and not go completely around since you can't see them any way. Probably other online build ups on the 'net.

The Fiat 3000 also has tight tracks and you will have to bring the front sprocket inward (towards the rear). If not, then the tracks will cause the rear sprocket to break off. By design, the rear sprocket can't be adjust inward since it sits outside of the rear of the hull. This is a tricky kit and would suggest the Tauro kits for the experienced modeler. And did I say the tracks suck?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 02:26 AM UTC
The A7V's tracks cannot be assembled with the kit pins. But they can be assembled quickly and easily. Get a bunch of standard paper staples. Separate them and flatten out one "leg" so they look like an "L" in stead of a "|_|". Use these to assemble the links. The upright part has a nice flat, non-skin penetrating surface. Trim off the excess and, presto! A7V tracks.

Of course, you need to toss the suspension springs and settle for a non-working suspension/running gear set up. :-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:59 AM UTC
Here's a neat WWI Italian truck made by Criel Model in 1/35 scale, the Fiat BL18:

Nic
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 02:26 PM UTC
hey, whiterock check this site www.greatmodels.com, and look under commander series models, i found st.chamond, its pricey but looks nice. and if you do decide to tackle it i warn experience with resin as its all resin. good luck stug
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 04:35 AM UTC
Just found another at Hobbyterra.com

M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC
Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I was just trying to add some humor to the post. I would love to see someone finish the Tauro kit without resorting to a diorama of one in mud.
Eric
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
Glad I'm not the only one...that A7V was a mess
zululand66
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi All,
I haven't just built one A7V, I've done two! Anyway, the tracks and suspension was nasty. Also, its made of a vinyl-like plastic. Anyway, once complete (which means TONS of work) it turns out OK. Seams are a pain since both sides of most of the joints have rivets on both sides of the seam. If you want to tackle this beast, good luck!
Regards,
Georg
 _GOTOTOP