_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
silent night dio idea
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 12:32 PM UTC
I recently saw a documentory during ww1 British and German soldiers put aside the war and sang silent night together on X-mas eve. the Germans were the ones that came out of there trenches and over to the British they figured it was a trick but the German soldier was carring a small X-mas tree. Im quite sure both sides had guns at ready but several soldiers and officers were making friends. I thought this would be a neat dio for some one to do .IT was called the christmas truce I just remembered.

PFC (:-)
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hey souds like it would be a nice dio. (:-)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 04:50 PM UTC
there is a movie with that in it, except its ww2, a midnight claer is its name, cheers
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 06:06 PM UTC
both great shows, but here's one for you colonel Hans Von Luck commander 3rd panzer div, 7th Recon group, wrote in detail about his "capture" and agreement with the 7th hassurs in North Africaearly in the campaign for North Africa Von Luck parlied a "cease fire" between the the hours of 1600 and 0730, and anyone captured during such time was released close to the others position and all were happy. they called it a "gentlemens war."
Well in his memoires, "PANZER COMMANDER," he writes that one afternoon in late '41, his group was seperated by a flight of spitfires looking for some action. he was "captured" shortly after 1700 and taken to the british groups position. outraged at the breech in the "cease fire" he demands to see the commander of the 7th hassurs. upon there introduction, he was greeted as an old friend, served a rather grand meal and tea, surrounded by some nice stuart honey's and a hammond command truck and released shortly after midnight. btw they continued to "fight" the war in this manner until america entered the war in North Africa, and Von Luck was sent to germany to try and get some kind of support for the troops in North Africa.
i'm still trying to find a kit of the hammond, and the dio is going to be done in a lighted shadow box to simulate night in the desert. well i wish you luck on your dio. happy modeling stug
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:05 PM UTC
During WWI, there were "crack troops" and also others... some like reserve or home defense units.
Sometimes, french and german trenches were pretty close also.
So, sometimes, when a french reserve unit was facing a german reserve unit, and certainly if there weren't too many officers around, there could be contact between the oposing forces. Cigarettes could be exchanged, and such things...
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
Those are the parts of war that they always forget to put into the history books.

(:-)
 _GOTOTOP