_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Damaged Buildings
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi,
I am after some tips/pointers. I am about to put together a typical European building covered in stucco. I would like to incorporate sections where the stucco has come away and exposed the brick work underneath. Can someone help with tips on how to create the revealed brick work or are there any products available to represent this brick work?

Cheers
Lee
Matt890
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
what scale are you looking for, becasue there are allot of paper applications like that that model railroaders use, but I dont think that there is any cheap things like that in 1/35, but you could always use resin precasts for it our make your own out of cork.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Lee, try this, get your walls to the desired thickness, then apply cut thin cork brick/stone to the areas you want to show as worn away stucco/plaster areas.
Then apply sheets of cork to the areas to be shown as stucco/plaster [ same thickness ].
Now fill in the areas btwn the brick/stone to show mortar and apply spackle or wood filler on the rest to show stucco/plaster.
The pics. shown need more mortar and stucco build - up, also more spackle to cover the cork texture to make the pieces of cork look more like stone.
This wknd I will be attempting to make a farm house using this method but instead of underlying brick/stone there will be a woven wicker type of material.
Good luck and show us your progress. - Cheyenne

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, March 03, 2006 - 01:53 PM UTC
Lee,

do a search in the forums for a user named Blockhaus. He makes most excellent buildings and shares his techniques in our forums...together with great pictures too. Hit the link below to go directly to the topics started by him :

Blockhaus Topics
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hello Lee,

Like the former respondents already told, there are some ways to do the brick work (cork, scribbing etc.).

What i what to add is that to do the stucco, you can cover the finished brickwork section with a piece of heavy paper,( i am actually reusing old heavy grid sanding paper) teared in such a big piece you need, and cover the remaining wall with a modelling paste or even a second coat of plaster.
You take off the sanding paper, reveal the brick again. The rough and irregular border of the teared apart sanding paper gives a nice edge to the remaning stucco.

Good Luck

Cheers
Claude

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:26 PM UTC
Hi, this was done with drywall scribbled to look like the bricks are exposed - its a fairly easy and cheap way to do it, and the plaster ind the drywall reacts very nicely to the paint.

More pics in my gallery
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi Lee, I cannot explain better than Cheyenne this metod, only I can say that you can use also plastic with same metod

Carlos
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi Lee, I do a method that is insanely easy. Take your wall section, and take a pen or pencil and roughly draw out a cracked section on the plaster. Now take a flat chisel hobby blade, and carve out the section that you've drawn out, about 1-2mm. Once done, simply scribe out the brick pattern. I find this much easier than doing the brick and then putting a layer of plaster over top. Below is an example of what I'm talking about.
Good luck!

_GOTOTOP