Hosted by Darren Baker
Photos of my Toasted M113
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC
Heres a few pics of a little project I got on the go,I can only do the M2A2 when the PC is free so I started this to keep me busy in the mean time.Its an old Italeri model, at fist I pained the model with rust but then realised aluminium doesnt rust so I covered all the brown areas with black pastel and rubbed it in, I created exposed metaol on the side with a pencil and then added a wash of black pastel, on top of this I added dry black pastel then a heavy coat of white pastel to show the effects of burning, the flaky paint on top was done simply by crushing up a leaf and then sticking the bits down with Matt acrylic and painting black. The graffiti on the side is on Charlie brown and it says 'Good Grief' its a bit of Grunt Black humor and was copied from a pciture in a book. Theres still a bit more work to do, and I was thinking of cutting out the periscopes and making new ones that dont have glass in them, eventually I think im going to place it in a dio with it bulldozed into the side of the road after tet offensive with some grunts walking past and a war corrispondant taking a snap. Thanks for looking.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC
Looks pretty good. I like ol' Charlie Brown there. Only suggestion I have is to fill the tab slots on the TC's ring so it looks like a continous ring.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:01 PM UTC
And there you got the reason why I allways use body armor inside my track...

That is one messed up 113 you got there Rob. I would love to turn it over to the mechanics with a "Hey, hurry up boys. I need it back for to nights patrol"... :-)

To be serious: I like it. It looks like it has been on fire after the shell impact. The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is the impact hole from the HEAT(?) round. It looks a bit too big. HEAT rounds usually make a hole only a couple of centimeter in diameter. But what the h@@@, I do not have the guts to treat one of my kits in this way. Looking forward to see the complete dio. Interesting idea.

Erik
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
I think it looks pretty good, not overdone at all. I would have filled in the key holes in the TC cupola opening though.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. Re the shell hole-I just cut a hole in and wasnt really sure of the type of round, this is just a bit of fun really-not too bothered about total accuracy. Sabot- on the TC cupola im actually going to have the ring mounted its just being painted.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Dear Rob
the impact hole is really big compare to the internal damage. It is look really big to me
Let me find close up of RPG hit and Viet Cong RR gun
to compare.

I was looking to such details recently

wait

seb
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
Voila

here is the effect of a single RPG hit

Still missing the RR hit, i need to dig more
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Rob
Here is the one that is really interesting for you

M113 hit by Viet Cong 57mm recoilless rifle
U.S. :
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
Seb,
What you have posted is what can happen. Not all RPG or RR hits are/were catastrophic. Rob's example is very relistic for a non-catastrophic hit. Not all M113s melted down when hit.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Link to Seb's picture:

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/inf/M113/M113_vietnam1.jpg

IIRC one of the issues with the M113 series was (is??) the fact that the aluminum actually burns if it gets hot enough. It looks like that is what happened in Seb's RPG pictures.

Shaun
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
I know from first hand info that the way you have portrayed your model is OK. If the vehicle was transporting mostly troops it would not melt down completely. The photos shown here are of a 113 that was carrying ammo and explosives.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:34 PM UTC

This is a photo of a 113 with two hits by RPG. No Melt down at all. The hits are in the engine compartment.
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
A few years ago I was lucky enough to work at Bovington ABRO (Army Base Repair Organisation) And we had a similar vehicle arrive with a hole in it just like that one. I worked in the computer dept. so cannot give any particular details of the vehicle. But this one looks about right to me.
In fact the hole size was the same but with less outside damage.
Nice model.
Tony.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:54 PM UTC
Dear All
Sorry but i am never been on the field just here to help people i hope you don't find me too much arrogant. It is not my purpose.

:-) :-)

Now it is the week end and it is time to do some modelling enjoy it

Seb
 _GOTOTOP