Huge Dungeon diorama
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 10:20 PM UTC
(that should read Dungeon)!

Recently, I ordered a number of Hirstarts molds (www.hirstarts.com). Those will be under the x-mas tree for junior, later this week. Currently, I'm casting floors and walls like a madman to prepare the production of a 140 x 80 cm (!) diorama / play table. I can only start building that when the stuff has "officially" arived under the x-mas tree. Since Junior doesn't know what's coming, I'm casting in secrecy every night, so he has no clue what will happen soon.

Junior has a set of cute plastic knights that half look like robots (MegaBloks Dragons series) that he really likes and we often play with, so I started copying those in resin. I cast between 5 and 10 of those every night while he's in bed and while I'm toying on the PC (Armorama and my MP3 collection). They are just the right size for the dungeons !
I've casted quite an army by now. There's no leg movement like in the originals, but for a dio they are perect. I painted a few dozen already, and they look just awesome : a lot more dramatic than the original plastics. This will be the biggest dio I've ever built (if you can call it that)... I'll try to build these dungeons on different levels, and I'll add plenty of landscaping and maybe even a few trees.
Junior's 6 and 1/2 years old, and he's starting to appreciate modeling. We've got five whole days with nothing else to do (if my wife doesn't throw us out of the house when we make too much a mess of it). This will be a great x-mas holiday !

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
looks nice, where do you get your casting materials, i'm having a hard time finding anything to do casting... stug
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:40 PM UTC
GF

That looks great dude Looks like you have a great present for you r kiddy.
Man I wished I got presents like that when I was six and a half.
Nothing can give you a bad Chritsmas anymore

have fun modeling brother

penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 11:41 PM UTC
It looks like you've prepared yourself a great christmas !
You've done a great job with that stuff !

merry Xmas ! (:-)
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 07:47 AM UTC
I wish I got something like that when I was that age! Sounds and looks like it will be a great gift for your kid.
Have a great Christmas!!!!! (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
Thanks. Copying those "knights" isn't all that expensive : you can cast a whole army for just a pint of this stuff. Only since the last days, I have resin all over my hands. I spend half the day at work trying to hide my hands, so nobody notices. Casters and molders out there know what I mean ! Tomorrow and Wednesday will be to celebrate with the family, but on Thursday we can start building !
My father-in-law brought a big plank to cover the table : this will become the dio site when we start assembling the bricks and tiles.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:00 PM UTC
I envy you Jan. (:-) My sons are grown, and I miss the excitement of surprising them on Christmas morning. This is the best part of your life, and you are making the most of it.
Have a great Christmas I know you will. :-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 12:10 PM UTC
Jan - sounds like you are having too much fun "making this for junior"... makes you glad you don't have a daughter who wants dolls, eh? Great excuse to do some modeling is what it sounds like to me! Have a ball - your son will love this! The Hist wall molds look top notch... two bad they don't have 1:35 scale.!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 01:39 PM UTC
Jan,
Very nice work. I am sure your son will love playing with it. That is if he can pry you away from it. Lol...

Jim
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2002 - 02:18 PM UTC
you know guys my oldest is a girl and she wants models for christmas. so she got a set of heller dinosaurs and a '57 chevy. i can't wait she's so excited to join dad in the workshop. thats my present sharing my hooby with her. i wish i could share more with my kids but they are younger than her. i'll be sure to post her first attempts at modeling, now i'm excited about it. stug
 _GOTOTOP