_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Replacement Wheels - Scud B Launcher....
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hi;
I'm looking for replacement wheels for my Shanghai Dragon Scud B kit..... the kit wheels are tragic. I've heard of a company called 'Dreamcatcher' that did make replacement wheels at one time. Are they still around? Anyone else out there make these wheels?

Thanks all in advance....
Bob
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Yes, Dreamcatcher used to make a set of replacement wheels.

Dreamcatcher went under and their molds were bought out by The Lost Battalion but I do not know how much, if any, of the former Dreamcatcher wheel line is in production. I have been told by Darla, the owener, that if she can find the SCUD wheel molds, she will eventually put them back into production.
sabot65
Visit this Community
Venezia, Italy
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi Bob
I don't know the Dragon Scud but I'd like to buy one in the future. What is wrong on the Dragon wheels??
Thanks
Gaetano
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
I'm likely going to make this sound worse than they really are, but here goes..... The detail on the wheel itself is a liitle soft with poorly represented lug nuts and hub detail but the big problems are the tire tread pattern ( and there are EIGHT of them). They're injection molder plastic, which in itself isn't generally a problem, but they don't line up when you put the left and right halves of the tire together. Even if you cut off the alignment pin and fit it well in one spot then the tread pattern will not line up somewhere else along the joint. I suppose It's all fixable with some fiddly work but to avoid all that, I wanted to see if some aftermarket replacements are available. If I can't get replacement wheels/tires, then I was going to sand a lot of the tread down to make the tires look severely worn instead.... maybe...

If someone has a reference to what the tire tread pattern looks like on the Maz-543 vehicle, then I could do some more work, maybe even scratchbuilding the pattern using the article I saw posted elswhere on this site recently (very cool by the way....) then I could probably get someone local to cast a resin set.

Plus, I was hoping to build this pretty much OOB. I know there's Eduard's PE sets that would really dress it up, but I wanted to keep this simple (and less $$)

Any suggestions???

(By the way, Jacques, thanks for the tip..... i did contact darla with 'The Lost Battalion' and she was going to try and dig through the tire and wheel stuff that came with her Dreamcatcher buyout to see if she could find anything....cheers.)
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 09:24 PM UTC
Here's a Scud tyre from the Tankmaster

http://www.thetankmaster.com/IMAGES/AFV/Littlefield/SCUD-B/SCUD-B_01.jpg
frogger
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi all!
Just wanted to let you all know that I am looking for these tires and I will post it here if and when I find them. Wish me luck!

Darla
TLB Miniatures
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi;
I've heard from Darla at The Lost Battalion and she's found some of the ex-Dreamcatcher replacement Scud launcher tires/wheels. I'm sure she'll post details soon on how to obtain a set. Over to you Darla.... (ps I won't forget the beer I promised you.... our good Canadian suds are probably a bit 'stronger' than what you're used to but I'm confident you'll like 'em all the same.....)
cheers....
Bob
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Hiya Darla.

Yeesh, I have to be carefull what I say about you now that I know you are on here!

Seriously, glad you found the wheel sets. What are you planning on releasing.

Oh, and this is Jacques from MN...you know, one of those Minnesota Military Figure Society people who you have to deal with at MMSI? Sorry I missed you guys at Zumbro Valley...had to watch the kids. :-)
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 06:58 PM UTC
I too would be interested in a wheel set. So please let us know when ready. It is great to see that someone bought the dreamcatcher stuff as I felt it was of an excellent quality.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi All....

My Lost Battalion (Ex-Dreamcatcher) Scud wheels arrived in the mail (big shout out to Darla - thanks!!). They are copies of the kit wheels that have been cleaned up prior to casting so there's a lot less work to do. They're marked left and right and the castings look very good. There's a couple of wheel rim chips but nothing that can't be fixed.

My only comment is that I've found out that the kit wheels portray a slightly 'interpretive' version of the actual tread pattern that are, after all, innaccurately rendered so when they're cast in resin.......well, you see the problem. This is of course, no fault of Dreamcatcher nor The Lost Battalion. IMHO they're way better than the kit wheels and I can live with the slightly inaccurate pattern. I'm planning to heap mud on them anyway, so it won't be noticeable.

Thanks again Darla at The Lost Battalion Miniatures.....

Bob
Saladin
Visit this Community
Region de Biobio, Chile
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hello Bob. Glad to hear that you received your wheels. How much did you paid for that set? I was browsing the LB webpage but I couldn't find the wheels so far...

I'd like to order the same set for my kit...would you lend me a hand please?

TIA

Oscar
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hey Oscar;
I suggest you contact Darla directly at The Lost Battalion and she'll let you know a price. My cost was very reasonable. Darla doesn't have them catalogued on her site yet but she managed to find some in the ex-Dreamcatcher stash that TLB has.
cheers;
Bob
 _GOTOTOP