_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
My Big & Beefy entry
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
Okay, fellas ...... I haven't had a chance to devote much time to this, but I manage to at least get started. This is Trumpeter's KV I Heavy cast Turret which I decided to build as close to OOB as possible. But then, you know how it is, you have to add new tracks and a turned gun tube ....

Actually, these are not the correct tracks (I have them on order), but I couldn't resist throwing some JS-series metal on the hull just to get a sense ... The barrel is Jordi Rubio, but I think that will be all the aftermarket I'll commit to this project .... for now.

Thanks for looking,
Mike Kirchoff
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Looking good so far, Mike.. Just a point - the JS tracks are pretty OK for a ( very late) KV. There are few real differences...Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 04:22 AM UTC
Another Trumpeter KV. I have 4 different KVs myself. Good kits.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 05:18 AM UTC
Thumper

Thanks for the post here, and for the close up pic of this particular Trump KV. This is one I've been tempted to order, so I appreciate you posting the pic --- good looking work by the way. Please keep us posted as you move through your build.

Steve
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Here's a little more info ..... the turret and hull armor has been replicated with applications of Mr. Surfacer 500 in various degrees. A fairly subdued coat was applied to the hull, while the turret received multiple layers to build-up with rough-hewn texture. Just about everything else detail-wise is included in the kit. The only downside I could see was a plethora of pesky ejector pin marks on each and every track link. The kit builds up quite a bit larger than what I had originally envisioned and should be a terrific palette for the variety of paint and effects I have in store for it.

Mike
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 06:22 AM UTC
Mike,
I really like the texture you've created on the turret and hull. It is going to look great when it is painted.
I notice you have assembled one set of tracks. I just got done doing the same on my JSU-152 and after supergluing a run of 15 or 20, I realized there were two types of track shoes, those with horns and those without (note to self: look at all the bags in the box before opening the glue!) I used acetone to soften the glue, took the pins out and reassembled them correctly.
Rob
 _GOTOTOP