Hosted by Darren Baker
M151A1C update, last one hopefully...
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 04:59 PM UTC
Well, I'm very slowly reaching the end with my Welcome to the Nam entry.
For now it is panted, paintchipped, decaled, sealed and ready for last details and dusting followed by a matt cote.

I also wanted to pick up your knowledge on the gun travel lock (?) on those jeeps...
Was this thing installed on all recoilless jeeps? And if so then I'll have to scratch it and this gaves birth to another question: How was it mounted to the floor?

And yet another question on the recoilless rounds: was it possible for the rounds to be stowed in the back of the jeep without its casing?

Thanks in advance for your input

Anyways here are the pics:

Oh, and the seats were textured by applying some nitro thinner to the paint, then painted over.

Cheers
Pedro
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
Nice build.
I can't answer for sure about the travel lock but I remember having seen some Mutt's with a kind of slot in the windshield where the gun rested for traveling.

One point about the .50 spotter, it should be dark grey and metalized with some graphite powder. You should give the whole model a more flat look. To me it's too shiny but maybe it's the flash of your camera.

olivier
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Olivier, thanks for your reply.

The kit is shined with floor polish, like Future to better recieve washes. Matt varnish will follow after final weathering, though I've seen one picture where such jeep looks totally gloss
The .50 spotter will be repainted ASAP

Pedro
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
A very nice example. You have the modifications to the body and the correct steering wheel for the 151 series. I also am very happy to see that the hood star is pointing in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing it after you finish.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
Thank you Sir!
The direction of the stars on Nam vehicle is amongst many other very useful things I have learned on this grat site

I also wanted to ask, if you can help me out with the gun travel lock: was it a must on all M151A1C's or there were examples without it installed?

Cheers
Pedro
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
I never got up close to one of them in Nam. The one they had with the 1/Th had a tarp over it and the barrel was tied down to the clip on the front hood.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
Thanks Dave, this might be what I'm lookinng for, knowing the travel lock wasn't quite necesery on those jeeps, enables me to omit the part

Pedro
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
Pedro,
The travel lock for the tube was one of the modifications to the basic 1/4 ton truck series that set it apart from the utility version. The racks for the rounds, the gunner seats, the tracks/locks for the RR rifle mount, allowing it to be mounted/dismounted by the crew, the radio mount, the relocation of the spare tire,, all of these modifications amounted to more than a simple addition to the basic truck, requiring the designation and change in production. The rear suspension was also made differently, that is, much stiffer, to support the weight of the rifle and mount. The suspension was so different, the operation of the truck without the rifle mounted was prohibited, as the handling was so affected by the removal of the weight.

The travel lock has a primary purpose of keeping the tube stationary when not actually in operation, that is, pointing at a target. If not restrained, the movement of the tube would eventually damage the ability of the mount to accurately acquire/hold a target reference.

Bottom line is, the mount was not an option, it was part of the package that essentially resulted in the M151A1C. In the travel mode, that meant with a windshield up, the tube really had an elevated appearrance, as it had to rise above the standard windshield. The M151-series RR trucks did not have a split windshield as found on earlier series vehicles (M38A1). The travel mount pedestal should be included.

Now, drop a Dragon 1/2 ton platform truck Mule with an M40 RR rifle next to your kit in a diorama,,, yours has the proper dark shade of semi-gloss, with correct style markings. Really good.

Jim Peterson
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Thank you Jim for your interesting and helpful input.

olivier
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Thank you Jim for all the valuable info, you've been the most helpful!

I think that I'll be able to scratchbuild it. Only thing I don't know is how it was mounted to the floor?
Could I possibly use the lower part of MG mount from M151 series jeep, with some moveable joint holding it to the travel lock that is visible on the photos?

Pedro
 _GOTOTOP